This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to manage wireless connection with Kubuntu 14

hello everyone, i'm completely new to Linux and decided to give it a try after reading about Windows 10 privacy issues. i chose to download Kubuntu to a usb drive using rufus 2.2 to format and create a bootable drive. i used unetbootin to load the os onto the drive and booted up using the plop boot manager. kubuntu is recognizing my wireless connections but when i try to connect, i am prompted to enter a password which i assume is my security key. this doesn't work. i am able to connect to my router using an ethernet cable without a problem. so i am kind of lost as what to do. thanks

Firstly, welcome to Kubuntu irockde!

In answer to your query, all I can think of is the basics (which I guess you've tried already):

1. Are you certain the wireless network is the correct one (yours)?

2. If so, are you sure the password is correct? (caps lock not on, etc)

3. Maybe try temporarily disabling security on your wireless network and try to connect then.

Not sure what to suggest other than that. Are you getting any error messages, etc?
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

thanks for responding. let me start by saying that i don't have k14 on my computer. i have it on a bootable usb disk which i have discovered is read-only. that means i can't save changes i make to the system. the software on the usb drive provides two options. 1. install k14 or 2. try k14. in the try mode, k14 enables wireless connections including mine and those within range of my router. when i click on connect, i am prompted for a password. i enter my security key for my connection-the same one i use to connect when i'm using windows.but, k14 doesn't recognized it. i get two messages. 1. your internet connection has been deactivated and 2. there are no secrets. i am not sure what k14 is looking for or what i have to do to make the connection wirelessly. since i can make a wired connection with no issues, i figure it is a software issue.

Comment

I have been able to connect to wifi networks using Kubuntu 14.04 on a USB stick so there isn't a general software issue ... are there any odd things about your wifi password or access point name (ssid) like weird characters?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

since my first reply to rod j, and thanks, i decided to contact my router manufacturer. while on the phone, i had connected k14 to the internet through a ethernet cable. i was asked to change the name of my internet connection and the password. my initial password had a % sign in it. all of the other parameters were left unchanged. i still wasn't able to connect wirelessly. i turned off k14 and went back to windows 7. i wasn't able to connect there either. i still had the rep on the phone. so we went back through the process of setting up a connection. we left the name the same, changed the class, the security type to aes and the password. this solved the problem of getting back on line with windows 7. i signed off with tech support and went back to k14, loading it from my usb drive. this time when i went to connect i was prompted with the new password which i entered and k14 accepted my password and completed the connection. well, that is the experience i had, happy to be on but i can't point my finger and say this is what you do. my next task is trying to figure out what i have to do to be able to sign in to yahoo mail while on the yahoo website. i keep getting an invalid username or password message when i know that is not the case in win 7. thanks for taking the time to respond and hope my post helps someone.

Comment

Working...
          X