This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create a mailing list in KMail

I'm running KDE 4.12.0 (Kubuntu 13.10) here, so if you are using a 'much' earlier version of KMail, this may or may not apply for you.

Creating a mailing list in KMail isn't, in my opinion, very well documented, or at least, not clearly explained. Google finds all sorts of complaints that mailing lists created/used in KMail don't work. There are even bug reports, some old, that attest to this, as well as comments to the same on other forums.

Well, today (Merry Christmas to me!) I figured it out and have a mailing list created and working just fine. Here is how it's done.

Steps

1. Launch Kontact/KMail
    2. Click on Contacts
    3. Click on the Folder under Personal Contacts that you want the mailing list created in
    4. Press Ctrl+G or click on File > New > New Group...
    5. Give your mailing list a name
    6. Click the little card icon below Contact group members and type the email address (start typing the last name, and if it's in your address book already, select it when it shows)
    7. When the first email address is added, press your down arrow button
    8. Repeat step 6 and 7 until done
    9. Click OK

Test your email list by creating a new email and selecting your mailing list by the name you gave it.

Note: It may be necessary to enable Nepomuk (yeah, I know, many hate Nepomuk) and enable (check) Enable PIM Data Indexer. I did that here.

Added: January 30, 2014
    Updated: April 20, 2014
    The above does indeed work. However, that's doing it the 'hard way' as I just realized this evening! So, here's the 'default' way.

Steps

1. Launch Kontact/Kmail
    2. Start a new email
    3. Include all the addressees you want in your distribution list
    4. Click on Tools > Save Distribution List...
    5. Name your distribution list and click Save List
    6. Click on the folder you want to save it in and click OK

You gotta love Kubuntu Linux and the many ways one has available (or discovers) to get something done.

Added: May 26, 2014

Kmail version 4.13.1
    KDE version 4.13.1

KMail won't send an email if I select any of the Distribution Lists I've created.
    It will let me select the list, but when clicking on Send KMail reports:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KMailDistListSendFailureMsg.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	648193
    Anyone else, who uses KMail and has distribution lists have this problem, or "had" it but resolved it?

The distribution list is named MyTechs. It seems that KMail, while it allowed the list be be created, doesn't recognize it as a distribution list when picked for use in an email.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 26, 2014, 05:23 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Yeppers as to the Nepomuk and yeppers that it is not.............well..........very well explained anywhere!

I struggeled with it quite a bit back when I was doing some fundraising stuff.

Very concise, and very nice write up!

wood smoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
    X