This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change desktop cube cubecaps 12.04

well I could not find it hear anywhere so I thought I would tell how to do it hear

the default cubecap.png is in /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/apps/kwin/cubecap.png
    rename it to cubecap.png.old (with a root dolphin((kdesudo dolphin)) and copy your favourite .png in and rename it cubecap.png log out and back in and that’s it easy peesy

now the obligatory screen shot .............................

8)

☢VINNY☢
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

updating this post for 14.04 ,,,, the cubecap.png is now in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/cubecap.png ,,,,the rest is the same

VINNY
    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      updating this post for 14.04 ,,,, the cubecap.png is now in /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/cubecap.png ,,,,the rest is the same

VINNY
      HI.

I have the default cubecap.png. Why do I not see this image when I click through the desktops. I have a sold blue background (same for all desktops).

Thanks
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
        I have the default cubecap.png. Why do I not see this image when I click through the desktops. I have a sold blue background (same for all desktops).
        Unless I'm misunderstanding your question, you're misunderstanding what the cubecap image is for. Its location is on the top and bottom of the cube, i.e., the parts not affected by whatever image(s) you're using as wallpaper on your desktops.

I don't use an endcap image, but if I did you'd see it in this shot where the big gaping hole is right now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop_rotated.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	642412

Also, you have to have it enabled [in desktop cube's settings] in order for it to display as it's intended.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

HI.

Thanks
          you half to put the cursor on it and left click to drag it around to a perspective to be able to see the top or bottom of it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you just use the arrow keys to rotate it you will never see the top or bottom

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I now have the cube and it rotates. However, I only have an image. Can I use the cube as a desktop and activate applications. At present I only have 'the hand' and no other functionality?

Comment

I now have the cube and it rotates. However, I only have an image. Can I use the cube as a desktop and activate applications. At present I only have 'the hand' and no other functionality?
              You're thinking of it wrong. The desktop cube is a pretty, graphical, interesting way of displaying your desktops. Your desktops are where things happen--where programs get run, where you hang out and do stuff, like post on forums.

In order to do what you're asking, it would basically have to be possible to run programs on *NO* desktop...and that's not how things work.

The cube is eye candy. If you have friends/coworkers/relatives who use windows, you can wow them NOT ONLY with the cube itself (which is awesome!), but even more when you explain to them that each face of the cube is ANOTHER DESKTOP. Much fun should follow as they try to process what that means...

Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

OK. But at least I can click the desktop icons in the panel (in normal mode) and get a change of desktop that looks like it might be coming from a cube arrangement. The change however is quite fast, but it is different from normal.

Best wishes

A
                Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 28, 2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

OK. The change however is quite fast, but it is different from normal.

Best wishes

A
                  go to system settings>workspace behaviour>virtual desktops>switching tab,,,,,click the wrench icon/button and you will get the setting box in the forefront of the screenshot

push the "rotation duration" over 1000msec and play with it up and down untill you like it

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Thank you.

Yes, That works.

In Desktop Cube I have tried to assign keys to the Cylinder and Sphere without success.

Can I assume that my system does not support either.

I don't understand the distinction between Background Colour and Wallpaper., surely wallpaper is the background.

Best wishes.

A

Comment

In Desktop Cube I have tried to assign keys to the Cylinder and Sphere without success.

Can I assume that my system does not support either.
                      They're all part of the same effect, so I'd think if you can have one you should be able to have them all. Have you tried some other method of activating them? Try this:

Settings | System Settings | Workspace Behavior | Screen Edges

and assign one spot to cylinder and one to sphere. Apply your changes and then move your pointer to the appropriate portion of the screen and see what happens.

I don't understand the distinction between Background Colour and Wallpaper., surely wallpaper is the background.
                      If you're not using an image, then the color you've chosen will be the background. Here's with and without an image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop_image_082914.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	642417 Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop_color_082914.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	642418
                      Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Aug 30, 2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I expect you know this, but in case you don't, you can double-click or right-click to choose the closest desktop.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                          They're all part of the same effect, so I'd think if you can have one you should be able to have them all. Have you tried some other method of activating them? Try this:

Settings | System Settings | Workspace Behavior | Screen Edges

and assign one spot to cylinder and one to sphere. Apply your changes and them move your pointer to the appropriate portion of the screen and see what happens.
                          This worked.

I found the bottom two points difficult to assign because I have a panel at the bottom. However, I assigned the two middle buttons. They seem a little temperamental on the screen. but they work.

I have also managed to enable keys
                          Ctrl S, and Ctrl C - for sphere and cylinder could not be used, but

Alt S and ALT C are available.

I kept the default for cube.

I prefer to use the keys

Best wishes.

A
                          Last edited by anonprivate; Aug 30, 2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X