• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox simple install for KDE

Simple method:

sudo aptitude install nautilus-dropbox

(see below for additional tweaks).

Original post from before Dropbox was in the repos, or how to get the latest experimental build:

************************************************** ************************************

Here is my method for getting Dropbox working easily on KDE without using Nautilus. I have been using this method over several years and distros without any problem.

(I got the tutorial originallly from http://antrix.net/journal/techtalk/dropbox_kde.html )

1. Download the latest Dropbox binaries from:

http://forums.dropbox.com/tags.php?t...al-forum-build

(I have always used the experimental build without problems)

Or (Stable):

a. for x86 users: http://www.getdropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86
    b. for x86_64 users: http://www.getdropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64

2. Extract the downloaded file which gives you a hidden folder named “.dropbox-dist”. (NB. Turn on "show hidden files" to see it!)

a. To extract from the command line (copy this command and paste it into a terminal): tar xzf dropbox-lnx.x86_64-0.6.571.tar.gz
    b. Or right click on the downloaded file and click "Extract Archive Here"

3. The .tar.gz file extracts a hidden folder named “.dropbox-dist”. Move this file to your home directory.

To move it to your home directory with command line: mv .dropbox-dist ~/
    NB! You won’t be able to see the folder unless you have “view hidden files” enabled.

4. Then you need to start the Dropbox daemon. The dropbox daemon is called “dropboxd” which is a shell script in the “.dropbox-dist” folder.

a. To start it from the command line, paste this into a terminal: ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd

b. Or navigate to the “.dropbox-dist” folder and double click the dropboxd shellscript:

(To navigate to the .dropbox-dist folder, paste this into a terminal: cd ~/.dropbox-dist/

To run the script, paste this into a terminal: ./dropboxd ).

5. Follow the onscreen instructions to either set up a new account, or use your existing account.

6. To run Dropbox after it's set up just run "dropboxd" as above.

Or make a shortcut on your desktop, panel or whatever you prefer.

6. If you want it to autostart:

a. For command line way: ln -s ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd ~/.kde/Autostart (or your distro's Autostart folder, if different)
    b. Gui way: Kmenu -> System Settings -> Advanced -> Autostart -> Add Script and navigate to ~/.dropbox-dist and select dropboxd

Finally, if you would like to download Dropbox, and at the same time give yourself (and me ) 500mb of free extra storage, please feel free to use this link:

https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTMxNzg2MDk

Good luck.
    Last edited by SPQR; Apr 28, 2012, 12:50 AM. Reason: Updated as Dropbox is now in repos!
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise, Asus P8Z68-V PRO, Intel Core i5 2500K, Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 8 GB, OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950.

Kfilebox

Maybe will be better and easier to use Kfilebox.

Comment

dropbox can run fine out of the repos without installing nautilus, the nautilus-dropbox package is not depends on nautilus
      and one more tip: sometimes dropbox don't get the system theme, this happens because dropbox use it's own libstdc++, all you need todo to fix that is to force it use the system one,just run
      Code:
      mv ~/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6 ~/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6.bak
      and restart dropbox

Comment

Could you post a small pic of dropbox from the repo with the correct theming pls?
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

a snapshot
          Attached Files

Comment

Hmm. Well I installed Dropbox via
            Code:
            sudo aptitude install nautilus-dropbox
            Dependencies it installed were only libgtk-3-0{a} libgtk-3-bin{a} libgtk-3-common{a} libnautilus-extension1{a} - total of 2,602 kB to download. I call this pretty painless.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by ohadcn View Post
              and one more tip: sometimes dropbox don't get the system theme, this happens because dropbox use it's own libstdc++, all you need todo to fix that is to force it use the system one,just run
              Code:
              mv ~/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6 ~/.dropbox-dist/libstdc++.so.6.bak
              and restart dropbox
              I don't have ~/.dropbox-dist and my ~/.dropbox does not have any lib* files. I have found .dropbox-dist at /var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/ ... and made the corresponding rename ... and now I have a pretty Oxygen Dropbox dialogue! Thanks!
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks for pointing out that Dropbox is now in the repos. I wrote this before it was this easy!
                Last edited by SPQR; Apr 28, 2012, 12:59 AM.
                Kubuntu 12.04 Precise, Asus P8Z68-V PRO, Intel Core i5 2500K, Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 8 GB, OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950.

Comment

If you don't want the Nautilus dependencies but do want native theming, this is still the way to go if you're using Precise. The latest KFileBox hasn't been updated for 12.04. I tried the build for 11.10; when you indicate that you want to hide the native UI, it actually closes instead and kills the Dropbox daemon.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    If you don't want the Nautilus dependencies but do want native theming, this is still the way to go if you're using Precise. The latest KFileBox hasn't been updated for 12.04. I tried the build for 11.10; when you indicate that you want to hide the native UI, it actually closes instead and kills the Dropbox daemon.
                    Instead of telling kfilebox to hide the dropbox icon, tell the system tray settings to hide dropbox and to always show kfilebox. Then all works as expected.

Comment

The latest KFileBox hasn't been updated for 12.04. I tried the build for 11.10; when you indicate that you want to hide the native UI, it actually closes instead and kills the Dropbox daemon.
                      That is a shame, the latest KFileBox has been working beautifully for me.

Even forget it's running most of the time.

Comment

Originally Posted by SteveRiley
                        The latest KFileBox hasn't been updated for 12.04. I tried the build for 11.10; when you indicate that you want to hide the native UI, it actually closes instead and kills the Dropbox daemon.
                        Confirmed. And attempts to restart the daemon from the sys_tray fail. Restarting from kmenu via kfilebox only enables the GTK UI again.

Originally Posted by vw72
                        Instead of telling kfilebox to hide the dropbox icon, tell the system tray settings to hide dropbox and to always show kfilebox. Then all works as expected.
                        This results in both kfilebox and dropbox initiating two sync instances.
                        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

If I remember correctly there is a file you can delete in the dropbox configs that stop the dropbox systray starting when the daemon is started.

Cannot find the post with the fix on, but i think it was the wx._controls.so file.

Comment

What's the advantage to running KFileBox over the native UI?

Comment

What's the advantage to running KFileBox over the native UI?
                              Looks prettier, uses the kde notifications but not that much else

Comment

Working...
                              X