Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install and use Xephyr / Make Screen Shot of LogIn screen - Regenerated

How To (Let me Know of any Issues) (Works for up to 12.04 Precise) (Originally Posted December 24, 2008, 09:22:27 am ... original topic=3100483.0):

1. Install Xephyr... Either through Adept Manager (that's how I installed it) or through konsole.
    konsole: "sudo apt-get install xserver-xephyr"

2. [For KDE3.5]
    Edit "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" with kate as root.
    konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc"

[For KDE4]
    Edit "/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc" with kate as root.
    konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc"

Change: [Xdmcp]
    Enable=false

To: [Xdmcp]
    Enable=true

3. [For KDE3.5]
    Edit "/etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess" with kate as root.
    konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess"

[For KDE4]
    Edit "/etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess" with kate as root.
    konsole: "kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/Xaccess"

Change: #* #any host can get a login window

To: * #any host can get a login window

4. Reboot your system.

5. After rebooting. Log in. Start Konsole.
    In konsole: "Xephyr -query localhost -screen 800x600 :1"

6. This should bring up a screen @ the designated resolution of 800x600. I personally used
    1024x768 as that is what my Log-in Splash was designed for (base).

7. Use "Ksnapshot" to make a screen shot of the resulting screen that appears.

8. If using Xephyr results in a Window with a grey background, then you are experiencing some kind
    of "interference" from another device. I've never fully found what that "Interference" was. What I
    did find out for me is if I closed "knetworkmanager" and disabled my network card, it would work.
    This wasn't on all machines I tried it on. As of Kubuntu 8.04 HH KDE3.5.9 that problem doesn't
    appear to occur. With 8.04 KDE4 and 8.10, it seems more prominent. Further research shows that
    Xephyr can be used to "connect" to other machines, hence the "localhost" in it's command line. Based
    on that observation and reading, it seems this issue is a network configuration problem. What? I don't
    know. The work around is as I've stated at the beginning of this ramble.

EDIT: Observation relating to #8. After still always experiencing this issue I have found that it relates to a system being in a MS Windows Domain. Specifically one controlled by MS Servers. On my home network if I remove the server from the router/switch/hub and leave the system that Xephyr is to be run on that router/switch/hub it works flawlessly. What ever Xephyr is sending to ID the system evidently isn't routable or understood by Windows Server. At least that is how it appears. At work the same thing holds true.
    Last edited by MoonRise; Jun 23, 2012, 11:27 AM.
Working...
X