• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Monitors How To

16/11/09
    Kubuntu 9.1
    Intel chip sets ... and others

The good news is that you not mad ... and probably aren't doing anything wrong .... it doesn't work.
    Detailed info can be found in the following bug reports.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/403610
    http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeb...pp?view=markup

xorg.conf has been depreciated, it's all dynamic now, so reading old how to's may not solve the problem. xorg is still supposed to be read if it's present however my system doesn't read it and I have seen several posts from other users who have experienced the same issue.

The good news is that there is a simple solution though you need to work around a couple of quirky KDE issues.

1) Open system settings, desktop and clear the enable desktop effects.
    - This is essential if you have upgraded to KDE 4.33.
    2) System settings, appearance, fonts and set force fonts DPI to 96dpi ... you could try 120.
    - KDE will mess with your font sizes if you have monitors of different resolutions,
    3) Add software and look for arandr ... install the package. It's a small GUI for the xrandr command.
    4) Run arandr and you should be able to set your screens up as you want, click apply then if you like what you get select save.
    5) You can now add the script file arandr created to your boot up. Settings, advanced, autostart then add script, set at start-up - for per user - or pre kde startup for a global setting. Best advice is to double check the script runs OK before committing it to a pre kde startup though.

If your one of the lucky few you can go back to settings, desktop and try enabling desktop effects again, if your system supports it you should be fine, if not it will error correctly.

When you run arandr if you can only select one monitor but see that you should have two arandr is telling you that it can see both video ports but only one monitor. This is generally due to a bios setting so you will need to reboot, access your bios and check the options. For laptops setting auto or default tends to only turn on one port look for Both or External and Internal. The wording and options vary significantly. THHHB - reply below - ran into this, it's not always easy to resolve and you may even need to upgrade your bios.

Option:- You can copy and paste the xrand line to /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup.

My setup up reads:-
    xrandr --output LVDS1 --primary --mode 1280x800 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output TV1 --off --output VGA1 --pos 1280x0 --rotate normal

It sets my laptop screen as the primary monitor at 1280x800 then makes sure that any secondary monitor is to the right of my laptop. The system drivers are pretty good at figuring out monitor resolutions so I leave that to take care of it's self for any secondary screens.

If you run Krandr or go to system settings and display it will reset the xrandr command line - remember it's all dynamic now - and you will need to run arandr again. If you have included it as part of your boot that will still be fine.

One last thing. If you run monitors of different resolutions Dragon player will no longer show pictures as it cant figure out what resolution to use. Go get another player that allows you to set video output to X11 in my case. VLC works and so does Kplayer.

hope this helps

Re: Multiple Monitors How To

Looks very promising! Wanted to have an additional screen for my laptop for ages.

I just tried it on my T40 with ATI chip. Unfortunately, arandr has greyed out all options for video outputs except the standard built-in screen. Does anyone know a solution?

Comment

I used this. It works very well. I had to edit my /etc/x11/xorg.conf (create one, actually) with the proper virtual desktop size (2560x1024 for me):

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Configured Screen Device"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      SubSection "Display"
      Virtual 2560 1024
      EndSubSection
      EndSection

Rebooted and then ran arandr.

Comment

if you are an ATI user with the "restriced" Driver installed, Setting Multi-monitors is very easy.

1. Hit alt+F2(default run command)
        2. Type in (without the ' ) 'kdesudo amdcccle'
        3. Select "Display Manager" from the menu on the left of the program.
        4. Select From The Drop Down List (its under the monitor pictures) your second display
        5. click on the Muli-Display Tab (just under the drop down list)
        6. Change it from "Disabled" to your desired Muli-mode
        7. Click apply (if you have never had muli-display active you will be asked to restart before use)
        8. Your second monitor should now be on (if you had to restart it will be on when the computer boots up to kdm)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, with proprietary drivers you can use a GUI, and actually with the open source drivers you can do it, too:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107874.0

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
            Yes, with proprietary drivers you can use a GUI, and actually with the open source drivers you can do it, too:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107874.0
            thats a good thing to know , thanks
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X