X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO Install BitDefender Antivirus on Kubuntu

Preface

I have never used this program, so I can not be considered an expert. I use ClamAV on my own Kubuntu computers mainly to protect the Windows systems I interact with. Antivirus software is widely considered unnecessary for Linux systems, but some people want it anyway. If none of these facts dissuade you, then read on.

About BitDefender

BitDefender has been a respected antivirus solution for Windows computers for several years. Not long ago they began offering an new program called BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices for use with Linux and FreeBSD systems.

Where to get BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices

I found it at their website on the page linked below. If that link doesn't work for you, then you go to the BitDefender home page and perform a search for BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices.

http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-8...or-Unices.html

Check that your Kubuntu system meets the system requirements listed on that page, then click the download button. You will be asked to provide some personal information to the BitDefender company before downloading.

Be sure to download the file for Debian. The correct file will have a name ending with .deb.run. As I write this there is no file specifically for Ubuntu, but Ubuntu systems use the same software management infrastructure as Debian. If they offer a package for Ubuntu systems in the future then you should get that instead, and disregard the rest of this article since the information that follows will likely be outdated.

What to do with the .deb.run file

The .deb.run file is a self extracting archive. It contains the package to install BitDefender. You need to run the self extractor to get the .deb file out of it.

Open a Konsole window (Alt+F2 -> konsole) and use the cd command to change directory to the folder where you downloaded the file. I will assume you downloaded it to your Desktop folder. If not, then edit the cd command to match the folder you actually used.

The full file name of the downloaded .deb.run likely will not match exactly the name used in the mv and cd commands below. This is because the BitDefender version number and architecture are included in the file name. Simply adjust the file names shown below to match the full name of the .deb.run file you downloaded.

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/
    mkdir BitDefender
    mv BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run BitDefender/
    cd BitDefender/
    sh ./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb.run
    Here is what the above commands do:
    • mkdir creates a new folder
    • mv moves the file into the new folder
    • cd changes directory to the new folder
    • sh starts a sub-shell to run the self-extracting archive

After the archive extracts itself you will have one or more new files in the BitDefender folder you made above. Look for the file ending with the .deb extension. Then use the dpkg -i command to install the package. For example:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.i586.deb
    Again, you will likely need to adjust the file name shown above to fully match the name of the extracted file. Just make sure the file name ends with the .deb extension.

You can find detailed instructions in the BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices User's Guide. If the direct link does not work for you then go to the page linked below and look for BitDefender Antivirus Scanner for Unices User Guide:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Down...cumentation/2/

More information
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Re: HOWTO Install BitDefender Antivirus on Kubuntu

Ok, so I am really new to this an all - but I can normally follow simple instructions. What did I do wrong here?

jake@HomeSys2:~/Downloads/Linux Downloads/System Tools/Antivirus, Bitdefender/BitDefender$ dash BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linnux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
    dash: Can't open BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linnux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
    jake@HomeSys2:~/Downloads/Linux Downloads/System Tools/Antivirus, Bitdefender/BitDefender$ sh BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linnux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
    sh: Can't open BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linnux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
    jake@HomeSys2:~/Downloads/Linux Downloads/System Tools/Antivirus, Bitdefender/BitDefender$ sh ./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linnux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
    sh: Can't open ./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linnux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run
    jake@HomeSys2:~/Downloads/Linux Downloads/System Tools/Antivirus, Bitdefender/BitDefender$

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Just guessing here but spelling 'linux' correctly might help
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Duuhhhhhhh....
        ok, thx for that. But it does bring up another issue I have been fighting. This keyboard works fine with my XP, but I am having major issues with it in kubuntu. I have had to disable the keyboard repeat altogether.
        thx agn

Comment

The .deb.run file is just a self extracting archive. You still need to use the dpkg -i command to install the package after extracting.

HTH
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Your keyboard problem does not belong in this thread. Please take it to the hardware forum appropriate for your version of Kubuntu.

Mods, a little help please?
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ok, so I can't spell as well as a fifth-grader. Fixed that, but need to know how to give it my password so it will actually unpackaged the file. This is the output it provided.

Please enter "accept" if you agree to the License Agreement.
              Enter anything else if you don't agree to the terms in the License Agreement.
              The installation process will stop.
              accept
              Installing BitDefender Antivirus Scanner v7.6.4
              dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
              Could not complete the installation of the package, aborting.
              jake@HomeSys2:~/Downloads/Linux Downloads/System Tools/Antivirus, Bitdefender/BitDefender$

So any thoughts on that one? Is there and extension I can put on the command to accomplish this?

Comment

This might work.

Code:
                sudo dpkg -i BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb
                After pressing enter on the command above you will be prompted to enter your password. It wants the same password you use to login to Kubuntu.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Unfortunately not. However, adding sudo to the dash command did do the trick.

sudo sh ./BitDefender-Antivirus-Scanner-7.6-4.linux-gcc4x.amd64.deb.run

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                  X