This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOW TO: Intel 2200 WPA Wireless Network card configuration

This how to, written by Luca, and used with his permission, describes step by step how to set up your Intel Wireless card in (K)ubuntu.

"Hi!
    I've seen there are many requests about how to get ipw2200 and wpa to work. So, as I've managed to get them to work, I've decided to write a howto. It's also good if you just want to get ipw2200 without wpa; just follow the first part in this case.

We have to compile and install the latest ipw2200 1.0.6 driver from http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net and we also have to install the firmware, as the ipw2200 0.19 included in the standard installation of Hoary doesn't support wpa.

Since ipw2200 1.0.5, ipw2200 project does not include ieee80211 subsystem anymore, so we also have to compile and install them from http://ieee80211.sourceforge.net.

Since we have to compile the driver from sources, we need the packages: build-essential, gcc, linux-headers-myOwnKernelVersion.
    So:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install gcc
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Note: if you have the kernel sources installed, you won't need the linux-headers. And if you're running a custom kernel compiled by you, you won't need to install the packages mentioned above.

First of all, follow these instructions to add extra repositories, which are always handy to have.

Here are the steps (for newbies: the following commands are supposed to be typed in the same console session):

First of all, download the firmware from here.
    Then install it:
    Code:
    sudo tar xvzf ipw2200-fw-2.3.tgz
    sudo cp ipw-2.3-*.fw /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
    Now download the latest ieee80211 subsystem from here.
    Then untar it and change your current directory into the driver's one:
    Code:
    sudo tar xvzf ieee80211-1.0.3.tgz
    cd ieee80211-1.0.3
    Now run the remove-old.sh script that comes with the driver package in order to make sure that any old module is deleted:
    Code:
    sudo sh remove-old
    Now download the latest ipw22000 driver from here.
    Then untar it and change your current directory into the driver's one:
    Code:
    cd ..
    sudo tar xvzf ipw2200-1.0.6.tgz
    cd ipw2200-1.0.6
    Now run the remove-old.sh script that comes with the driver package in order to make sure that any old module is deleted:
    Code:
    sudo sh remove-old
    Now your system is clean and it's time to make and install ieee80211, so:
    Code:
    cd ..
    cd ieee80211-1.0.3
    make
    sudo make install
    Then make and install ipw2200 as well:
    Code:
    cd ..
    cd ipw2200-1.0.6
    make
    sudo make install
    Note: it seems there's currently a bug of remove-old script on some systems; if you get errors when compiling ieee80211 about the presence of old modules, you'll have to delete them manually, after having unloded all ieee80211* modules through "modprobe -r module_name" (type "lsmod" to see the current loaded modules).

Now we have to download and install the wpa_supplicant package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant
    Then you have to create a wpa_supplicant.conf in /etc, so:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    And paste the following lines in the text editor:
    Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
           ssid="your_network_name"
           scan_ssid=1
           proto=WPA
           key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
           psk="your_secret_key"
    }
    Anyway there are further configuration examples in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples/wpa_supplicant.conf.gz.

Then reboot to make sure that the new modules are loaded successfully and type:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ipw
    to see if there are errors.
    Then type the following command to configurate wpa_supplicant:
    Code:
    sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D ipw -w -dd
    Note: "eth1" is your wireless device.
    If you get troubles establishing the connection with the AP, try to take the "-w" flag out.

Some systems may have problems in finding the AP; so, if you get troubles finding your AP, add the "ap_scan=2" option to let wpa_supplicant performing the scan instead of the wireless card driver. So your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf will look like the following:
    Code:
    ap_scan=2

network={
           ssid="your_network_name"
           scan_ssid=1
           proto=WPA
           key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
           psk="your_secret_key"
    }
    Some systems may have problems in connecting to the AP; if you get this issue, try to add the directive "pairwise=TKIP" in the relative network section of /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, so that it looks like this:
    Code:

network={
           ssid="your_network_name"
           scan_ssid=1
           proto=WPA
           key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
           pairwise=TKIP
           psk="your_secret_key"
    }
    Of course, if you have problems both findind the AP and connecting to it, you have to add both "ap_scan=2" and "pairwise=TKIP", like the following:
    Code:
    ap_scan=2

network={
           ssid="your_network_name"
           scan_ssid=1
           proto=WPA
           key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
           pairwise=TKIP
           psk="your_secret_key"
    }
    Now we have to create a small script (first provided by fulco and edited by me) in order to get wpa starting automatically at boot:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/wifi_wpa.sh
    Here's the script:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    # wifi: wpa_supplicant init
    echo " * [Wifi]: Enabling WPA supplicant..."
    if [ -x /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant ]; then
        /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D ipw -w
    fi

exit 0
    Change the script's permissions to allow it to be executed:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/wifi_wpa.sh
    And create a symlink to define the relative service:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/wifi_wpa.sh /etc/rcS.d/S40netwifiwpa
    Ok, that's all!
    I hope this howto will be helpful.

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"

http://techplanet.altervista.org" Luca_Linux

Re: HOW TO: Intel 2200 WPA Wireless Network card configuration

Just used this tutorial and for the first time I got it all working. Now I just need to get my startup script working. It is so nice to have wireless WPA in linux. Only other problem is adding another network which is at school. It uses WPA not WPA-PSK. I'll try that tomorrow. Anyhow thanks Luca.

Comment

Hi, well your How To seems to be very complete but i got an error Im kind of newbie i have compiled sources before and installed a few drivers but I just get this machine i was looking for my driver Intel Pro 2200BG, i found one on Intel page, but is kind of complicate, I did half of the steps they say but their README file is for at least people with some time in linux I hava 6 months so can anyone help me during the first make step i got this error:

Code:
      root@kubuntu:/home/jorge/Desktop/ieee80211-1.0.3# ls
      CHANGES  idvals         ieee80211_geo.c   net
      GIT_SHA1 ieee80211_crypt.c    ieee80211_module.c remove-old
      INSTALL  ieee80211_crypt_ccmp.c ieee80211_rx.c
      LICENSE  ieee80211_crypt_tkip.c ieee80211_tx.c
      Makefile ieee80211_crypt_wep.c  ieee80211_wx.c
      root@kubuntu:/home/jorge/Desktop/ieee80211-1.0.3# make
      Checking in /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/build/ for ieee80211 components...

grep: /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/build//.config: No such file or directory
      grep: /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/build//include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or                                      directory
      make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/build M=/home/jorge/Desktop/ieee80211-1.0.3 MO                                      DVERDIR=/home/jorge/Desktop/ieee80211-1.0.3 modules
      make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/build'
      make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/build'
      make: *** [modules] Error 2
      Thanks Im using Kubuntu 5.1o Breezzy

Comment

I've been trying to get this to work. I followed the directions carefully, here is where I got stuck. I'm trying to compile the IEEE.

Checking in /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-386/build/ for ieee80211 components...

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-386/build M=/tmp/ieee80211-1.0.3 MODVERDIR=/tmp/ieee80211-1.0.3 modules
        /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-386/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc-3.4: command not found
        /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-386/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc-3.4: command not found
        make[1]: gcc-3.4: Command not found
        make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-386'
          CC [M]  /tmp/ieee80211-1.0.3/ieee80211_module.o
        /bin/sh: gcc-3.4: command not found
        make[2]: *** [/tmp/ieee80211-1.0.3/ieee80211_module.o] Error 127
        make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/ieee80211-1.0.3] Error 2
        make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-386'

I know I have gcc installed! What am  I missing?

Thanks, Walter

Comment

Do you have the build-essentials installed? Gotta have that.

Comment

I'm having exactly the same problems as the other two guys that are having problems in this topic.

rene@Hermes:~/ieee80211-1.1.7$ make
            Checking in /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-686/build/ for ieee80211 components...
            make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-686/build M=/home/rene/ieee80211-1.1.7 MODVERDIR=/home/rene/ieee80211-1.1.7 modules
            /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-686/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: gcc-3.4: command not found
            /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-686/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 12: gcc-3.4: command not found
            make[1]: gcc-3.4: Command not found
            make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-686'
              CC [M]  /home/rene/ieee80211-1.1.7/ieee80211_module.o
            /bin/sh: gcc-3.4: command not found
            make[2]: *** [/home/rene/ieee80211-1.1.7/ieee80211_module.o] Error 127
            make[1]: *** [_module_/home/rene/ieee80211-1.1.7] Error 2
            make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-686'

I'm using the most recent of the ieee80211 (version 1.1.7) and the most recent ipw2200 driver (version 1.0.9). I've also Got a lot repositories so i always have the most recent of the packages when i update. I've updates the build-essecials (version 11.1) and the gcc to most recent version also, and same with the linux header.

I have on the other hand found out that the reason why the 'make' command fails is because we needed to install the gcc 3.4 compiler (the most resent is version 4.0), as the gcc 4.0 apparently doesn't work with this installation guide. So basicly after installing the gcc 3.4 via apt-get the 'make' command works.  

Hope this helps you guys.

Comment

unfortunately it doesn't work with the 'make' command of the ipw2200 driver and that's where I'm stuck now.

Comment

Hi,

I had the same problem as mentioned above.

After searching a while I've found the solution! 8)

Install ieee80211 with module-assistant
                Make sure you have the 'module-assistant' installed at your system
                Code:
                $ sudo apt-get install module-assistant
                I've downloaded the version with adept(Don't know for sure if this step is needed because module-assistant downloads the source also)
                Code:
                $ sudo apt-get install ieee80211-source
                When the download is complete I ran the module-assistant
                Code:
                $ su
                # module-assistant a-i -v ieee80211
                And at this point the IEEE802.11 driver is installed

Now the only thing I have to do is install the ipw2x00 driver .... Going to find that out too

Comment

hi everybody!
                  i'm a linux/kubuntu newbie and i'm trying since november to get wireless function.
                  i should install ipw2200 following the good tutorial luca has posted in this forum but when i try the remove-old command i get an error

quote:Note: it seems there's currently a bug of remove-old script on some systems; if you get errors when compiling ieee80211 about the presence of old modules, you'll have to delete them manually, after having unloded all ieee80211* modules through "modprobe -r module_name" (type "lsmod" to see the current loaded modules).

when i run moprobe it doesn't function! and i can't delete them manually
                  it says fatal: modules are loaded

i'm sick of this and if i want to stay with edgy i just need wireless to work 'cause wlan is very uncomfortable for me.

i would really love if someone could help me

thanks all

Comment

Working...
                  X