This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Howto: Ethernet connection without a GUI

Glad you go ti working. We've all had those "Duh" moments.

Comment

HI Detonate

I read your Howto because I have a problem here:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...104627.new#new

I did not follow your instructions because froebi has the exact same interface file set up as my default.

Maybe you could have a look and tell me where I am going wrong?

Thankx in advance
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

shouldn't this faq be updated?

In Jaunty Jackalope, ( i have kubuntu 9.04), there is no resolv.conf but just /etc/resolvconf.

Pls advise.

Comment

I am also running JJ and I have a resolv.conf file.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            I am also running JJ and I have a resolv.conf file.

that file was created only AFTER i got wicd working. before that i only had /etc/resolvconf

Comment

Yes, the resolv.conf file is created by running DHCP. If using a static IP and DHCP has never been run, you would have to create the file. So in almost all cases, if DHCP has been successfully run there will be a resolv.conf file, but if it has never been run, then you would have to create the file to use a static IP. I will add a note to the howto.

BTW /etc/resolvconf is a directory and not a file.

Comment

OK, marcopi, I added some info to the section about the resolv.conf file. Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

bro, many thanx for helping newbies out.

Comment

Can you (or someone else) please list the packages to remove in 9.04? Among those listed for 8.xx I see only network-manager, nothing with kde.

Comment

Just remove the packages listed in the original post. That should do it. Remove network-manager, network-manager-kde.

Comment

HowTo worked fine. Thanks very much. But FYI, there is no network-manager-kde in 9.04, at least on my system. And people should be warned that when they remove network-manager their networking component will (understandably) crash. Don't panic because KDE will restart within a few seconds, and you will not lose your terminal.

Comment

Detonate, is it possible for u to expand this howto to include wireless interface as well?

Comment

The problem with that is, I don't really have that much experience with wireless. I do use it on my laptop, and I have a couple of USB wireless devices lying around, but I really have not experimented with them enough to feel qualified on how to write a "howto". Actually, most wireless problems seem to be getting the device to work, and getting the the security set up. Both of which are somewhat beyond the scope of this howto. Most folks report that Wicd is the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                              The problem with that is, I don't really have that much experience with wireless. I do use it on my laptop, and I have a couple of USB wireless devices lying around, but I really have not experimented with them enough to feel qualified on how to write a "howto". Actually, most wireless problems seem to be getting the device to work, and getting the the security set up. Both of which are somewhat beyond the scope of this howto. Most folks report that Wicd is the best way to go.
                              understood bro. i have wicd running btw. was working all the while...until my laptop battery was drained and somehow the wireless interface - eth1 disappeared. now the wireless nic , bcm 4312 still shows up when i do 'hwinfo', except i dont know how to assign it as eth1?

Comment

Thanks for the howto Detonate. I recently updated my partner's machine to 9.04 and so was back to DHCP which doesn't work well for my taste and local setup. No problem. I'm quite familiar with /etc/network/interfaces so I just went to fix it, but got a big surprise when I saw what it looks like now! Anyway, I found your excellent information, the key point of which (to me) was to "sudo apt-get remove network-manager". That's when the screen stopped responding and I had a really DUH moment. lol Using telnet to configure a remote machine's network connection has it's drawbacks. Suffice it to say that after sawing off the branch that I was sitting on, I had to leave my chair and actually go upstairs and sit at the relevant machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X