This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KControl - System Settings Table and Info

For those who have a bit of trouble looking for KControl modules in System Settings, or System Settings modules in KControl, here's a table that I made:

http://www.freewebs.com/jucato/kcontrol.html

Just for added info:
    System Settings is the default Control Panel in Kubuntu only.
    KControl is the default Control Panel for KDE.

[Rant Mode]
    Although I appreciate the Kubuntu devs for creating a customized control panel for Kubuntu, I find that System Settings is not yet ready to be taken as a replacement for KControl. Here are my reasons:
    1. Inconsistent grouping when compared to KControl. (for example, the Background setting is found under Appearances and Themes in KControl, but under Personal > Desktop in System Settings).
    2. It doesn't offer a scroll bar when things go beyond the limits of the window, unlike KControl.
    3. IMHO, it just looks ugly.

But System Settings does have its strengths though:
    1. I find some of the groupings, although inconsistent with KControl, a bit more logical.
    2. It has a cool search function effect. those that don't meet the search expressions are grayed out.
    [/Rant Mode]
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: KControl - System Settings Table and Info

Excellent table. I'm going to print it out for reference.

Comment

Hi, there was an error. I had a duplicate "Regional & Accessibility" entry at the bottom.Fixed now.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Very nice...I usually use the kcmshell commands to access the modules, but that list will be useful for sure.

Thanks

Comment

I think Settings:/ under konqueror is best for new users. Shame it was taken out of that list beside the K menu in KDE 3.5.1, it was really superior to System Settings, and more user friendly then Kcontrol.
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Yeah. It's still there anyway, at least for people who know
            It's just a kioslave, btw. It's practically the same as KControl, minus the tree view.
            Btw, you could almost achieve the same effect (no tree view, large icons) by changing the View Mode and Icon Size in the View menu? of course, it only affects the left-side panel, and not the main window.
            Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
            X