X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to dual boot Linux and Windows

Linux and Windows dual booting guide

Microsoft Windows is much more vulnerable to attack than other common operating systems such as MAC or Linux. One reason is that from a security point of view it simply isn't as well put together.

Linux and Windows how to dual boot

It is possible that email and browser-based viruses, Trojans and worms are the source of the myth that Windows is attacked more often than Linux. Clearly there are more desktop installations of Windows than Linux. It is certainly possible, if not probable, that Windows desktop software is attacked more often because Windows dominates the desktop. But this leaves an important question unanswered. Do the attacks so often succeed on Windows because the attacks are so numerous, or because there are inherent design flaws and poor design decisions in Windows?

Linux facts

Fewer viruses
    More stable
    Less restarts after installing updates
    Security designed from the ground up
    Open Source, no costly programs to install
    Better file system, no waiting for defragmentation of the hard drive

Linux has no technical support by my ISP Virgin Media yet it works on their cable network, these pages are written by a Linux user with a broadband cable connection.

Linux is suited to a Ethernet modem connector (RJ45) this is found on the back of a Surfboard 5100 modem for example. The other end plugs into your network connection or card on the back of your case/laptop.

Ethernet Routers versus USB Modems

If you have a broadband connection and use a USB modem to connect with, the risks are much greater than if you use an Ethernet router. Unfortunately, most people do use USB modems as they are cheaper to buy, and many ISP's even give them away free to new customers.

So what's the difference? Well with a USB modem your computer is directly connected to the Internet and can be seen by ' port scanners' looking for vulnerable PCs to attack. Unless you have a Firewall for protection then your PC is wide open and will soon become infected with different pieces of malicious software.

Routers on the other hand give increased security as they use NAT (Network Address Translation). With NAT your computer connects only to the router, and it is the router that connects to the Internet, hiding your PC and acting as a buffer. Most routers (including those supplied by The Phone Co-op) also come with a built-in firewall, providing extra security.

Routers also take the load off your PC, give a faster connection in certain instances, and can have more than one port or socket, allowing you to share the Internet connection between more than one computer or other device. All-in-all they are a much better option.

Antony Perkin

http://internetsecurity4free.com
    Network of two Dell Optiplex dual boot Pentium 4s, Linux user since 1999 Very Happy with Kubuntu and Mandriva. Three other native&nbsp; computers. Computers in my blood since 1975.<br /><br />A Perkin Web Design and computer hardware engineer

Re: How to dual boot Linux and Windows

Nice write up...but you didn't really explain anything about dual booting.

Maybe a Mod can re-title or move this as I think it's useful information...just not what it says it should be.

Comment

First step is to test your Windows system with a Live Linux CD does not effect your hard drive and runs in RAM directly from your CD /DVD drive.

When ready this loads to your hard drive enabling you to dual boot your system with Linux and Windows with a little startup program called GRUB, allowing you to select your operating system.
      Download CD and DVD Disk Images

There are now two versions of Kubuntu! The newest Kubuntu version, 7.10 features the latest technology and is supported for 18 months. However, you may prefer to continue using Kubuntu 6.06 LTS, which features long-term support.

Download Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) the latest Kubuntu release

Download Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) the Kubuntu release featuring 3 years of support on the desktop and 5 years on the server.

Unable to download the CD or DVD images? You can get CDs free from Kubuntu Shipit.

You can also buy Kubuntu on CD which delivers faster than Shipit. Buy Kubuntu on DVD
      On our network of desktops there are two machines that had Windows XP removed and Ubuntu installed, these run 24/7 without a problem.

I have dual boot computers, Windows XP and Linux. These run medical research programs
      in Linux overnight without any problems.
      Network of two Dell Optiplex dual boot Pentium 4s, Linux user since 1999 Very Happy with Kubuntu and Mandriva. Three other native&nbsp; computers. Computers in my blood since 1975.<br /><br />A Perkin Web Design and computer hardware engineer

Comment

Basilray

Thank you for your comments, I think that the community cafe is a place were people visit after they get past the newbie stage of installing, hardware and software programs. I have taken both my posts from above on this topic and merged them together, this is now listed in help the new guy forum.

If you consider yourself a newbie

Then I encourage you to post a message about how you found these posts.

All the best from Kubuntu and ubuntu user, Antkin

Comment

I'm one who could be considered a ultra Noob to Kubuntu and Linux.

I have successfully installed Kubuntu on a my system
          Currently
          Win XP on C:
          Kubuntu on D:
          did not see an option to install Grub. Is it a supplemental download?

Can you not just modify the NTLDR?

Comment

Jason, I too have a Dual-Boot System...with XP Pro, on C:/...and, Kubuntu, on D:/.
            I installed my 'Kubuntu'...via the 'Install within Windows' option.
            (Before I did so, I had Formatted D:/....as an 'active partition'. An extension..of C:/, if you care to think of it as such......if you read on, this will come very clear as to 'why'.)
            Why?
            I consider myself to be a 'tinkerer'.......aiming to tinker/experiment with Kubuntu...due to the fact that I DON'T know a thing.....about the Linux OS.

The 'method' I am using....I just lucked onto, by chance, really.

Okay, my 2nd hard-drive (D:/) is prepared.....as an 'extension' of my XP.

Once it (Kubuntu) has installed, a REBOOT is required.
            (IF you are worried...about the GRUB being NOT installed...don't be. It is!)

When your computer REBOOTs, it should show the 'switching mode'.....(from Windows, to Kubuntu).
            USE the Arrows, just next to CTRL button....to Select...Kubuntu.
            Then, wait awhile......for the "Language Window" of Kubuntu...to appear.

This is where it tends to get a bit 'iffy'.......for most.
            (In one way or another, the screen goes BLANK.....seems to be doing nothing. With just the 'blinking cursor'.)
            Don't get freaked-out, over this.
            You have not done anything wrong. Yet, so there's no need to be freaked-out over the long WAIT.
            That's 'how' Kubuntu works.

IF you do get past this POINT, with no problems, lucky you.

IF you DON'T, still don't worry!

Straight AFTER the "Language Windows" appears, counts down.........to START with yet another BLANK Screen...........you should SEE a 'Line'(Top-Left corner of Screen).

"Use 'ESC' to enter MENU."!

(You have to the count of 7......to enter it!)

Once this MENU opens....there are 4 'options'!.....for you to choose from.

They are there, for those WHO do have a 'Problem'.....STARTing Kubuntu.

Now, a bit of Patience....is definitely required, here.

SELECT each one...in turn.
            (IF you are having trouble getting Kubuntu to START.)
            And, IF it DOES NOT........ REBOOT, and try the next!
            Until one will work.

I have trouble with the one that says "(with APCI problems.)"

Yeah, I checked out my BIOS thoroughly.
            (And, I do have a problem....with APCI. It is 'greyed-out'....as 'ENABLED'! Courtesy of my Dual-Cored AMD Athlon 64 X2 60000+ CPU, I believe.)

At this point, I'd say............Check out your BIOS, too..IF you do a similar problem. (Makes it easier to understand 'why'........Kubuntu is not Starting up...for you.)

IF you're having a 'DISPLAY' problem...........what is your Graphics-card?
            (very important, to know!)

Kubuntu has 'issues'........with ATI-based Graphics (on-board and Add-in.)

It also has 'issues'....with Realtek Sound. (We'll get to that, later.)

If you get past this POINT, you're doing fine.
            IF you encounter another BLANK screen, by now, AGAIN, don't worry! (Like I said...Kubuntu DOES take a bit of Time...to Start.)

Now, a Program called Uquitity (something like that!) should kick in........to DO yet another 'install'...of Kubuntu. (AGAIN, Don't worry about this.........AS this is the PROPER 'installation process' at work..... you ONLY installed it, the other way...INTO Windows.)

Go have something to eat/drink....IF you have made it this far.
            No further action required by User...until it has fully loaded.

OKAY, you have finally got Kubuntu to LOAD (via that "Install within Windows' option)............NOW, the "Log-in" Screen appears.

Enter your 'name'..........as it appears. (The Log-in is 'case-sensitive'.)

Remember that Password you made up....to install.
            What was the PASSWORD you used......to install Kubuntu (within Windows)?

Use it......this is basically your ROOT PASSWORD. (Will work... for Administrative uses.)

If Log-in fails.....REDO. (Until you do get it right.)

YOU ARE IN!
            Great.

NOW, what you do from here-on....that's up to you.....as to what 'applications' you want to use.

BUT, now, comes the part..........ABOUT achieving an UN-INSTALLATION....Of Kubuntu.

And, believe me, it is very very very simple!

If, for any reason.............you have to unistall Kubuntu (REMEMBER 'how' I told you to set IT up...to start with!).......

Just get out Kubuntu.....and RETURN to XP (or the version of OS you're using...should WORK for Vista, too!!!)

Go to "Add and Remove" program...................find Kubuntu. and Uninstall it!
            Close "Add and Remove".

Open "My Computer".

Click ......on the Hard-drive......you installed Kubuntu to, via the "Install within Windows" option. Locate.......and DELETE.

Double-check....with "Program Files".....to make certain that there is NO traces...of Kubuntu left.

At this point, I use CCleaner........to really clean up. (for any 'left-overs'.)

Has Kubuntu really been properly uninstalled, using this 'method'?

Best way....to check, is to simply RESTART your computer.

NO Dual-Boot option!

You've done it. (told you 'how' simple/easy it is.)

(Food for thought....DONT put Kubuntu on anything LESS than a 80 GIG hard-drive..........you will run out of space...very quick!)

I have a 250 Gig hard-drive (as my 2nd H/drive)....to play around with Kubuntu/ubuntu. ( a good hint! )
            I have 2 of those..in my machine.

For a 'newbiee'...all I have to figure out, now....is 'how'...to get my WinFast DTV2000 H TV tuner-card working........in Kubuntu.
            And, then I can really start enjoy using Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
            X