This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUTSY KDE4 Tips and tricks

Here is a work in progress with some of the steps and little tricks to get and use KDE 4.0 in Gutsy

INSTALLATION
    The directions listed on Kubuntu.org are accurate and should be followed.

The packages for KDE4 are getting to the PPA repository quicker than they are reaching Gutsy's Backports repo. If you are getting any errors about broken packages, you will need to either (temporarily) disable the backports repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list, or wait a while till that repo catches up.

If you are browsing Adept for kde4 packages, be wary of those with a version number containing '3.94'. Those are some of the older versions that have not been 'caught up' yet afaik. I think they cause conflicts and won't install anyway

KDE4 runs alongside KDE3, with its own ~/.kde4 directory so that settings and configs for that are separate from the KDE3 things. KDE# apps will be listed in the KDE4 kmenu, and vice versa, so you will be able to use Amarok, for example, in KDE4 even though there is no version for it out currently.

LOGGING IN

USING/CONFIGURING
    A basic guide can be found here which gives a nice overview of a few things.

Taskbar
    The taskbar cannot be resized or much else at this time.
    To add a Widget to it, you need to right-click on the desktop, select Add Widget to open the dialog, and drag the desired applet to your taskbar directly from the widgets dialog. You cannot drag from the desktop to the taskbar, or reposition items yet.

You can go back to a 'normal' kmenu if you wish. There are 2 Widgets for this called Application Launchers. The Traditional is the one you will want in this case.

ADMIN
    I have seen some reports of problems with Admin privileges in applications needing that, you may have to run them from the command-line:
    Code:
    kdesudo adept_manager
    for example'

If your shiny, new kde4 needs to be reset to its defaults, simply log back into kde3 and delete your ~/.kde4 directory

Re: GUTSY KDE4 Tips and tricks

Nice! Thanks claydoh -- I'm gonna give it a try this weekend.

Comment

They're not accurate. There is no kde4-core package listed in synaptic after adding the sources.list entry. Installing kde4base (seemed a good guess) doesn't give me a KDE4 option on the login screen, and startkde isn't in /usr/lib/kde4/bin/ either.

This is on gutsy.

Comment

After adding the indicated repository to your sources.list, did you run an update, either from Adept Manager or from the command line with apt-get update?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ahh - accurate but missing a step :-)

Comment

Any time you add/remove a sources.list entry, you must update the package cache information in order for Adept / apt-get to know about packages available in the newly modified sources.list repository entries.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

OK, so I screwed up my courage, followed the instructions and installed KDE 4 today.

Wow, what an undramatic installation, although the download time was pretty substantial. I kinda held my breath when I rebooted Kubuntu -- wasn't sure what I'd see, with all these reports of "no taskbars" and "no icons" and such. But, when my desktop reappeared, it was absolutely unchanged, including starting Compiz automatically.

So, I hit the KMenu button, and yep, there are a couple of new KDE 4 items on the list, and then in the System and Settings and application menus I see the new KDE 4 labelled items -- very easy and obvious. Guess I'll have to read how to configure things (assuming I want something to change ...).

This is very painless, so far .... 8)

Comment

You will need to select "KDE 4" at the login area, click the icon in the lower right corner there and select your session. Its like installing Gnome, or xfce, it is a separate session choice

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .....

Yeah, now THIS is different!

Let's see .... "Lost my taskbar, lost my icons" -- I see where all that is coming from. But, I'm sure it's all there somewhere. Well, I feel a learning experience coming on now ....

Comment

Now HERE'S a problem. Failing to find any list of the packages formerly known as the "System" list, I opened Alt-F2 and entered "adept-manager", which allowed me to "launch" it. It asked for the root password, which I entered. "Incorrect password" was the response (3 times).

This could be a problem .... :P

Comment

its a well known one and documented one ( ^^ look way up^^ ), you have to run it as 'kdesudo adept_manager', may have to use a terminal

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh -- thank you claydoh. A little review of the instruction sometimes goes a long way!

Now, I wonder what it would take to get desktop effects working? 8)

EDIT: heh heh heh
                        Code:
                        compiz --replace
                        will do the trick, if everything was already set up in KDE 3.5. Of course, the window borders are stripped off again .... :P

So next you do
                        Code:
                        emerald --replace
                        and get your window borders back.

Comment

you can also try the new kwin compositing, though it is much simpler than compiz. It's in the window setting in System Settings, or right-click on a window title bar, and select 'configure window behavior' then 'desktop effects'

not many effects, but they seem to work well for me, and just the right amount of flash for my understated taste

(to be added to the how-to )

Comment

I can open the Konsole and do
                            Code:
                            kwin --replace
                            which will change out the window borders, but it also disables the rest of compiz, apparently. In 3.5 I could run compiz with either kwin or emerald decorations. Not sure what this is all about.

Comment

Thanks Claydoh for this post. Answered my questions about my 3.5.8 settings. I'll take the plunge tonight. One thing though on the "desktop effects". When activating it with the LiveCD, I get a blackscreen with just the mouse cursor. On ocasion, the Settings menu will show all white on the black, but nothing is visible still. Is this due to the X settings that had to be set for Compiz? If so, then once I install 4.0, those settings will remain?

Comment

Working...
                              X