This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HowTo: Burn LightScribe labels in 64bit Kubuntu

I've been trying to get my Lightscribe burner to work in the 64bit version of Kubuntu for a little while now, and have finally succeeded!

- You'll need to 1st install 2 applications from the repos:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install alien; sudo aptitude install fakeroot
    - Then, download the latest version of the LightScribe driver and LaCie LightScribe Labeler software.

- Convert the packages to .tgz files with alien:
    Code:
    fakeroot alien -t 4L*.deb; fakeroot alien -t lightscribe*.deb --scripts
    - Convert the converted .tgz files to .deb:
    Code:
    fakeroot alien 4L*.tgz; fakeroot alien lightscribe*.tgz
    - Install the converted .deb's, beginning with the driver:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i lightscribe*all.deb; sudo dpkg -i 4l*all.deb
    - Reboot and you'll be good to go!

Now, to create a KMenu entry:

- Right-click the KMenu.

- Select "Unlock Panels" if they are locked.

- Once the panels are unlocked, right-click the KMenu again, and select "Menu Editor".

- Select the location within which you would like to create the entry, right-click it, and choose "New Item"; I will use "Utilities".

- Enter the name you would like to call the app. I'm going to call it "LaCie LightScribe Labeler", sticking true to LaCie's name.

- In the "Command:" box, enter "4L-gui".

- Chose an icon for your labeler (click the white box on the top-right).

- Save and close the menu editor, and its entry should be in the KMenu!

That's it! You're done! Just insert a lightscribe disk, open the labeler from KMenu, create your design, choose "Burn", and select your drive.

LaCie's labeler hasn't yet been ported to K3b, but it serves as an excellent standalone application.

Note: You can just copy and paste the commands into a console if you want
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: HowTo: Burn LightScribe labels in 64bit Kubuntu

Thanks integr8e!
    8)

Comment

Asus G1S-X3:
      Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I just recently got a LightScribe drive, and I'm just trying to get the labeling to work. I noticed in your tutorial, you're recommending grabbing the rpm driver package from LightScribe, but they have deb driver packages available. Is there any reason why you were specifically telling us to convert from the non-native package for the drivers from Lightscribe? I know that the LaCie labeler program isn't available in a deb, so of course we'll have to convert that package, but is there any reason why we should do it the hard way with the drivers from Lightscribe also?

I've already got the deb driver pack installed, so unless someone gives me a good reason to do it the masochistic way, I'll just eventually just use this technique to get the LaCie program installed.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Comment

I don't think I was referencing the .rpm driver, but I'm sorry if I was - you shouldn't have any problems just converting the 32-bit .deb driver (that's what I did). Looking at my original post, I noticed I may have made a typo: the 4L package should probably be listed as "4L*.rpm" in the 1st conversion to *.tgz packages, instead of "4L*.deb" . . . or maybe not (let me know if I need to make any corrections)
          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Now I'm really confused. I already have the .deb package for the lightscribe drivers installed normally. Do I have to do something more than that with those, or do I just need to convert the LaCie package using alien and fakeroot?

Comment

You should be good as long as you have the driver installed; now, just install LaCie's labeler and see if it works.
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

*bump
                Sorry to bump an old thread... but I am having trouble with this.
                When I try to download the LaCie Lightscribe Labeler it just keeps looping and giving me an error saying codec package is already installed
                How do I download this?
                &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Working...
                X