This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia 8800GTS -- Card and Driver Tips

Got a new card -- a shiny EVGA Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 320 Superclocked. I installed it December 16, got it working on the 17th with the latest stable Nvidia driver (100.14.19), got antsy and installed the beta 169.04 driver on the 20th, and found out today (the 21st) that Nvidia released their 169.07 driver as of yesterday. So, I did the third driver installation this week -- now that's getting practice! This is on my Gutsy 64-bit Intel platform.

OK, I will share what I learned, since there are some things that are different with this one, compared to my GeForce 7900GS. And thanks to Plun on Ubuntu Forum for doing this first.

For my convenience, I'll just assume you found a way to wedge this guy into your desktop hardware. I've got a big Antec P180 case, and the Nvidia card goes all the way from the back edge to the drive bay in front. The 6-pin PCI power plug that powers the card literally has to mash up against the front of a hard disk drive. But it fits, more or less -- 2 slots wide and as long as the opening for the motherboard.

1. Installing the driver.
    EDIT: For Gutsy, just use Envy -- it's up to date now (30 JAN)

For Hardy Heron, until Envy is updated you're going to have to install the downloaded Nvidia driver. Follow this guidance and it should work for you:

Go to the Nvidia drivers site, and (depending on whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit), download the appropriate 169.09 driver here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Download it to your /home/user/Desktop.

Now do Alt-F2 "kdesu kate /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common" without the quote marks, and give it your password when prompted.

With the file open in Kate, insert "nv" and "nv_new" in the DISABLED_MODULES line, so that line looks like this:
    Code:
    DISABLED_MODULES="nv nv_new"
    and "save" it. Close kate and open the Konsole:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gcc gcc-4.1 xserver-xorg-dev

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common

sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-* 

sudo rm /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

Exit the Konsole. Do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and switch to a tty terminal. Log in, cd to Desktop and:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    to stop the X server, then

Code:
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run
    { This will run the installer -- answer the questions carefully -- some need a "no" to proceed, until the last one -- do NOT have it write the xorg.conf file at this point }

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    and (hopefully) observe the Nvidia splash screen prior to your GUI Kubuntu login screen.

2. Booting. The "quiet" option, which is a normal *buntu kernel boot option, puts this card in "black" mode, or else to sleep.

So, open /boot/grub/menu.lst with kate in Super User mode, and delete the word "quiet" from the kernel boot line, and save it. I need no "vga=" options to see the splash screens on my Samsung SyncMaster 1100 -- it is possible that other monitors may need one of those options. So the only boot options that I have are "ro" and "splash".

EDIT: Later info suggest the boot code "xdrvr=fbdev" is helpful for the 8000-series cards (I haven't personally needed to try it).

3. X Server. The "composite -- enable" option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not desirable for this card -- it will interfere with compiz. (In *buntu -- but interestingly the compositing option is still required for Mepis 7 to run compiz). So, when the Nvidia installer offers the option to write an xorg.conf file for you, either decline the offer, or else make sure that you leave the "--composite" option off the
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
    command. So, here's the "guts" of my fully-functional xorg.conf file -- note what happened to the "compositing" option:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
      Identifier  "Generic Monitor"
      HorizSync   21.0 - 120.0
      VertRefresh  52.0 - 140.0
      Option    "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier  "Generic Video Card"
      Driver    "nvidia"
      Option	 "Coolbits" "1"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier  "Default Screen"
      Device    "Generic Video Card"
      Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
      DefaultDepth  24
      Option    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
      SubSection  "Display"
        Depth   24
        Modes   "1600x1200"
      EndSubSection
    EndSection

# Section "Extensions"
    #  Option    "Composite" "Enable"
    # EndSection

4. Eye candy. Open Adept Manager, and mark the following packages for installation:

compiz-core
    compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    compiz-fusion-plugins-main
    compiz-kde
    compiz-plugins
    compizconfig-settings-manager
    emerald

and "Apply" to install them.

In a Konsole window, verify your glx capability with
    Code:
    glxgears
    you should see a graphic of the gears and and a frames-per-second (fps) rate calculation in the Konsole window. If that looks good, hit "Esc" to close the glxgears, and enter
    Code:
    emerald --replace
    to test the emerald window decorator. If that seems to work, you are ready to cross your fingers, say an incantation to the little monkey-god, and run
    Code:
    compiz
    Possibly you will observe a flicker of the screen, and Ctrl-Alt right-arrow will cause your desktop to rotate or slide. That's the indication you've been looking for! You can open KMenu>Settings>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings to fine-tune the compiz display (in "General", set horizontal size to 4, then "x" "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube", "Wobbly Windows", etc.). Also, the emerald theme manager is under that menu item, so if you follow instructions (and install subversion first) you can get an interesting collection of window decoration themes for Emerald to use with compiz.

That's it -- I hope this helps those with GeForce 8000-series video hardware!

And, oh by the way, stay the hell away from "Restricted Drivers Manager"!
    Attached Files

Re: Nvidia 8800GTS -- Card and Driver Tips

I followed these instructions and now I have a problem....

here's what happened:
    kdesu kate /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

Insert "nv" and "nv_new" in the DISABLED_MODULES line, so it looks like this:
    Code:
    DISABLED_MODULES="nv nv_new"

and "save" it. Close kate and you're back to Konsole:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gcc gcc-4.1 xserver-xorg-dev

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
    So far, so good

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-* 

sudo rm /lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed
    These two steps were not necessary, there was nothing to remove.

Exit the Konsole. Do Ctrl-Alt-F1 and switch to a tty terminal. Log in, cd to Desktop and:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    At this point, my screen simply went black. Yes, even from the tty terminal....
    I can't get it to show anything at all unless I boot another OS.

I tried to enable nv and nv_new to get the system to load these modules so I at least had a 2D driver working. Doesn't seem to help.

Any ideas how to proceed? Reformat and reinstall, isn't that what windows users do? In other words, I'd like to hack this the hard way, but I can't wait for too long.

Comment

Replying to myself here, to add more information:
      I have made some progress in troubleshooting.

I re-enabled the nv module (as reported earlier). I still couldn't get my screen to work, but then I realized it was because my xorg.conf asked for the "nvidia" driver which I had thoroughly removed. I edited my xorg.conf to use the nv driver, and that seemed to at least get me to a few steps back from where I started.

And...by the way, my screen does not have the black flicker problem with the nv driver...at least it appears not to be a problem.

Comment

Download and run the Envy script installer. Get it here:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Comment

Surrender? At this time? "NUTS!"

I figured out how to get the installation done. My basic problem was related to the fact that I could not stop the kdm without loosing all display on my machine. That is correct, not even the console. All display capabilities just shut down. I have no idea why this is so, but it appears that the kubuntu developers some how made the kdm system control whether my screen was on or off? Is this a laptop battery saving priority that goes wild in my desktop workstation?
          Or is it caused by some setting in system settings > display?

This display control problem is also visible in the bootup sequence. Even though I have removed the quiet mode option from the grub/menu.lst file, I still can't read the boot-up messages cause at that time, my screen is dead. Thankfully it resurrects itself when the kde/kubuntu login page appears.

Ok, this is how I got the driver installation done:
          1. contrasting to the recipe in the top post, there was no need to link the /usr/bin/gcc to version 4.1. That is because I run Kubuntu 7.10, and version 4.1 was the only one on my machine. Dibl obviously hacks more than me
          2. I can't see the reason why modules "nv and nv_new" should be disabled either. In xorg.conf you can specify which module you will actually use to create the display, and having the nv module loaded while you don't need it is only a minor performance hit on most high-end pc's. If you have a GForce 8000 series gfx card, you probably have a rather up-to date hardware setup anyway.
          3. As reported in a previous post, I reconfigured xorg to run with the nv driver modules while doing the installation (after I had thoroughly removed anything "nvidia" like following dibl's orders. Then I rebooted, and from the kubuntu login screen I selected konsole login. Starting the konsole from within a standard desktop session, using the Ctrl+Alt+F1, I was not able to run the installer, because X server was running. And remember, I can't stop kdm...
          4. After running Nvidia's installer from the console, I reconfigured my xorg.conf, to use "nvidia" module instead of nv, and enabled my twinview again, etc.
          5. rebooted (I guess I could have done without but sudo reboot -t 5 is a nice way to ensure that everything is loaded in the normal way).

And now I am here, everything running ok. I cannot comment on the compiz section, as I have not enabled that currently. I have found that I don't really need it because of the large screen acreage I have - and I have crashed too many times in the past 4 months to really long for the avantgarde experimental solutions. I almost got as far as switching to Debian stable

Anyway, my problem is solved, should we update the top post? I think it is overly complicated with respect to the driver installation procedure.

Comment

Done -- thanks Heinkel!

Comment

Folks Ive a nvdia 8800gts and a LG Flatron Wide 19' Monitor, what happens is every time I boot when the system comes back the frequency rate for the monitor is screwed up so I need to use the nvidia control panel to re-set it. Ive saved the xorg file through the nvidia X server setting applet but still no change. it is not a major problem but it is annoying to have to re-set this frequency on every boot. Undecided Does anyone has any idea of what could be screwed? thanks a lot in advance.

Comment

I know this is a fairly old thread... however...!

I just used envyng and successfully installed the drivers for my 8800 GTS 320MB.

However, when I start X with nvidia driver, I have a max resolution of 640x480.... my monitors native res is 1680x1050.

Any ideas why this is?

Here is my xorg.conf:

Code:
                # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
                # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder62) Mon May 19 00:29:52 PDT 2008
                # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
                #
                # This file was generated by failsafeDexconf, using
                # values from the debconf database and some overrides to use vesa mode.
                #
                # You should use dexconf or another such tool for creating a "real" xorg.conf
                # For example:
                #  sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Screen"
                    Identifier   "Default Screen"
                    Device     "Configured Video Device"
                    Monitor     "Configured Monitor"
                    SubSection "Display"
                        Depth  24
                        Modes      "1680x1050@60" "1600x1024@60" "1440x900@60" "1280x800@60"  "1280x720@60"  "1280x768@60"  "800x600@60"  "800x600@56"
                    EndSubSection
                    Option     "AddARGBGLXVisuals"   "True"
                    Defaultdepth  24
                EndSection

Section "Device"
                    Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
                    Driver     "nvidia" (running vesa at the moment to make this post, and it uses 1680x1050 fine)
                    Vendorname   "NVIDIA"
                    Boardname    "NVIDIA GeForce 8 Series"
                    Screen 0
                EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                    Identifier   "Generic Keyboard"
                    Driver     "kbd"
                    Option     "XkbRules"   "xorg"
                    Option     "XkbModel"   "pc105"
                    Option     "XkbLayout"   "us"
                EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                    Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
                    Driver     "mouse"
                EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
                    Identifier   "Default Layout"
                 screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
                    Inputdevice   "Generic Keyboard"   "CoreKeyboard"
                    Inputdevice   "Configured Mouse"   "CorePointer"
                EndSection

Section "Module"
                    Load      "glx"
                    Load      "v4l"
                EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                    Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
                    Vendorname   "Generic LCD Display"
                    Modelname    "LCD Panel 1680x1050"
                    Horizsync    31.5  -    65.5
                    Vertrefresh   56.0  -    65.0
                    Gamma  1
                 modeline "800x600@56" 36.0 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625 +hsync +vsync
                 modeline "800x600@60" 40.0 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync
                 modeline "1280x768@60" 80.14 1280 1344 1480 1680 768 769 772 795 -hsync +vsync
                 modeline "1280x720@60" 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync
                 modeline "1280x800@60" 83.46 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828 -hsync +vsync
                 modeline "1440x900@60" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -hsync +vsync
                 modeline "1600x1024@60" 136.36 1600 1704 1872 2144 1024 1025 1028 1060 -hsync +vsync
                 modeline "1680x1050@60" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087 -hsync +vsync
                EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                    Option     "Composite"   "Enable"
                EndSection

Comment

You need to run nvidia-settings to set the resolution. Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" when you have it set, click "Save To X Configuration File" to make it the default.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    You need to run nvidia-settings to set the resolution. Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" when you have it set, click "Save To X Configuration File" to make it the default.
                    hello, thanks for the suggestion, but the resolution I want is not listed...

Under X Server Display Configuration, it only has DFP-1 listed as the display model. I have a BenQ FP202W, a 20.1 inch widescreen with native res of 1680x1050.

System settings has Generic LCD Panel @ 1680x1050 (widescreen) and nvidia driver in use.

Code:
                    lsmod | grep nvidia
                    nvidia       8115216 34
                    i2c_core       28544 1 nvidia
                    Code:
                    glxinfo
                    name of display: :0.0
                    display: :0 screen: 0
                    direct rendering: Yes
                    server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
                    server glx version string: 1.4
                    server glx extensions:
                      GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
                      GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
                      GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
                      GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
                    client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
                    client glx version string: 1.4
                    client glx extensions:
                      GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
                      GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
                      GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
                      GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
                      GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap,
                      GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_present_video
                    GLX version: 1.3
                    GLX extensions:
                      GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
                      GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
                      GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
                      GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,
                      GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
                    OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
                    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8800 GTS/PCI/SSE2
                    OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.09
                    OpenGL extensions:
                      GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
                      GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow,
                      GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_imaging,
                      GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query,
                      GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite,
                      GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100,
                      GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression,
                      GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
                      GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_texture_float,
                      GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two,
                      GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix,
                      GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader,
                      GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ATI_texture_float,
                      GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
                      GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_blend_color,
                      GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate,
                      GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
                      GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_bindable_uniform, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test,
                      GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements,
                      GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample,
                      GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats,
                      GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4,
                      GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4,
                      GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil,
                      GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object,
                      GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
                      GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs,
                      GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture3D,
                      GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object,
                      GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc,
                      GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map,
                      GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine,
                      GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic,
                      GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias,
                      GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB,
                      GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_vertex_array,
                      GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat,
                      GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color,
                      GL_NV_depth_buffer_float, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp,
                      GL_NV_fence, GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_NV_fog_distance,
                      GL_NV_fragment_program, GL_NV_fragment_program_option,
                      GL_NV_fragment_program2, GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage,
                      GL_NV_geometry_shader4, GL_NV_gpu_program4, GL_NV_half_float,
                      GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_multisample_coverage,
                      GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_NV_occlusion_query,
                      GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object,
                      GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_NV_primitive_restart,
                      GL_NV_register_combiners, GL_NV_register_combiners2,
                      GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc,
                      GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_NV_texture_expand_normal,
                      GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_texture_shader2,
                      GL_NV_texture_shader3, GL_NV_transform_feedback, GL_NV_vertex_array_range,
                      GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1,
                      GL_NV_vertex_program2, GL_NV_vertex_program2_option,
                      GL_NV_vertex_program3, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap,
                      GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_SGIX_shadow,
                      GL_SUN_slice_accum

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
                     id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

0x4e 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 0 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
                    0x4f 24 dc 0 32 0 r . . 8 8 8 8 4 24 0 16 16 16 16 2 1 Ncon
                    Also, please note that I get the proper resolution of 1680x1050 with vesa driver.

Comment

bump... .anyone have any clue why this is occuring?

Is there any way of knowing when Nvidia plans on releasing an update?

Any alternative drivers for the Nvidia 8800 GTS?

Thanks

Comment

Ben, did you use
                        Code:
                        sudo nvidia-xconfig
                        to write that xorg.conf file?

Did you hit the "Detect Displays" button on the Nvidia settings panel?

Beyond that, I dunno why it wouldn't work correctly. Which version of the driver is this?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          Ben, did you use
                          Code:
                          sudo nvidia-xconfig
                          to write that xorg.conf file?

Did you hit the "Detect Displays" button on the Nvidia settings panel?

Beyond that, I dunno why it wouldn't work correctly. Which version of the driver is this?
                          version: 173.14.09, installed with envyng

Yes, I mucked around with the settings for quite a while. Tried nvidia-xconfig, messed with xorg.conf, etc It doesn't want to let me raise the resolution.

Thanks for your replies...

Comment

Just a stab in the dark -- do you have a choice of which I/O connector to use? If so, try the other one. :P

Comment

yea, i have tried dvi and vga...

anyway, i think i found the problem... after reading over the supported devices list again... the 320MB version is not listed...

Even though it is an 8800 GTS, the 256 and 512 are supported, but not 320MB

I guess I will have to wait. >

thanks again for trying to help!

Comment

Working...
                              X