Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I insert an avatar picture from my computer ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I insert an avatar picture from my computer ?

Hi, forum support team,
    I'm a newbie here and I would like to insert an avatar picture from my computer. I have searched here but I didn't find it out how to. Could help me out because I didn't reach the option at my contol panel. Best Regards.

8)

Re: How do I insert an avatar picture from my computer ?

1. Find a really ancient photo of a scruffy-looking character ....

Oh, perhaps that wasn't the question!

OK, then. Once you log in to the forum, in the upper right of the menu row is an item entitled "Profile" -- it is third from the right end, between "Calendar" and "Search". Open Profile, and on the left of the panel you see "Profile Info" and "Modify Profile". So, under "Modify Profile" you click "Forum Profile Information", and on that panel if you want to upload your avatar you click the "I will upload my own picture" box, and then you browse to the .gif or .png file on your computer, and do "OK" or whatever, and that's basically the procedure.

Comment

*BUMP de BUMP* (I am demonstrating that I know the way to the search button)

I just tried to update my avatar and it looks like nah, it just won't change, even if the upload progresses in a kind of normal fashion.

Are there restrictions on picture size (X by Y pixels), filesize, or file format? I just can't figure out why this fails.

Comment

Gold Star for searching!

I know there is a size ceiling, but I don't remember what it is. My avatar is a 3.5k jpeg image, if that helps.

Comment

I copied a couple of avatars from the forum today into GIMP and they seem to come across as 80x80 pixels - which is fine, I have my new avatar adapted to that standard.

AS for filesize, my old avatar is either 50x50 pixel 5.8 kilobyte or 100x100 pixel 19.1 kilobyte .png file and it seems like it did upload way back when. Now I deleted it, but it seems like it is not possible to re-upload it. It is not that this is what I am trying to do, I 'd rather have a new avatar, that is why I started fiddling with it in the first place, but could it be that there is something not working on the forum concerning the avatar upload today that worked sometime in 2006 when I uploaded the old one?

I am just asking.....

Comment

Code:
            Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.
            aaaaadmmmiiiiiiinn! information, please :-)

Comment

hmmm jpg file seem to do the trick, why is .png file disabled? I know my old avatar was uploaded as png because that file was only made in .xcf and .png versions.

What are the allowed fileformats (something with transparency must be possible, I see some avatars that have transparent areas).

Comment

I'm no graphics artist, but if you use gimp and work at it a bit, you will discover that it is possible to have a transparent layer and a "picture" layer, and if you merge the layers you can end up with a square image that has your desired picture in it, and the background is transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
                  What are the allowed fileformats (something with transparency must be possible, I see some avatars that have transparent areas).
                  Usually JPG, and GIF are universal formats. Often the transparent images are GIFs.

GIFs can have transparencies, and animations, and work with older (legacy) browsers. PNGs are often less compatible.
                  The answers are out there...

Comment

The only browser I know that .png files does not work with is Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and on this forum that should not be an issue. my suggestion to the host is to see if it is possible to enable png support on the forum (because it seems to be the forum software, not the browsers that has issues with .png format).

.png is superior to .gif and .jpg!

Comment

Working...
                    X