This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Solve Many KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems

If you are having problems connecting to a wireless network with KnetworkManager try this:

1.) Boot from a LiveCD of the Version of Kubuntu that you use (this works for Ubuntu, too). Note: You should boot from the LiveCD to eliminate any problems you may have caused by altering settings inadvertently in the network manager in a hard drive installation. This is easy to do.

2.) Click on the Knetworkmanager icon in the taskbar (bottom right of screen in Kubuntu, top right in Ubuntu).

3.) A panel should open up showing choices for program preferences, and a list of available wireless networks. These networks are displayed by name (essid) in a line with a bar graph showing signal strength. Click on the network's line that you would like to connect to. If the network requires a password, a password dialog will open up and you should fill in the password to connect. (Note: be sure to select the right type for your router's encryption method WPA, WEP-128 bit, WEP-64 bit, passphrase or hex, etc)

If you do not see any network lines when you first open network manager, there are two possibilities:

a.) There are no networks of sufficient signal strength in your area (if at home, your wifi router may be turned off). Solution: move to an area where there are networks, or turn on your router.

b.) Your network wireless card is not working with your Kubuntu system. In this case you will have to delve into the requirements for your wireless card -- drivers, etc. this is covered elsewhere in wikis and documentation online.

Note: if you do see network lines and bar graphs when opening KNetworkManager from LiveCD, it is almost certain that you do have proper card drivers installed, and you should not try to troubleshoot card drivers!

4.) If you are able to successfully connect to a network by clicking on the particular network line you want in LiveCD mode, but you are unable to see those same networks from an installed hard drive version of Kubuntu, the most likely cause of the problem is an altered file called /etc/network/interfaces

To solve this (thanks to user elabranche!), check the contents of the file against the following. This file works for a large number of users who have reported problems:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
    iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp

auto ath0
    #iface ath0 inet dhcp

If the file doesn't look like this, "save as" a version of your old file with a .bak extension, so you can restore it if you need to, edit the original file and change it to the above, or copy and paste the above in place of what is there. (New note: See second post below about ath0 -- your network card's device name may vary)

Then reboot. The KnetworkManager should now behave as the CD version did.

5.) If for some reason this does not solve your KNetworkManager problems, you may need to uninstall and re-install KNetworkManager (I did because mine had gotten corrupted in a power outtage during a save).

Note that if you uninstall it, you may not be able to connect to the internet to re-install it, depending on what other network software you have available -- or your skills in connecting via the console. Or whether a wired connection is also available to you.

I solved the disconnect problem at home by temporaraily setting my router to unencrypted and no WPA, and typing the following into the console of my Kubuntu machine:

sudo ath0 essid your network's name here
    sudo ath0 channel your network's channel number here
    sudo dhclient ath(0)

(Note: Substitute wlan0 for ath0, above, if your wireless card doesn't use Atheros chips -- as mine does).

I don't know if the channel is necessary -- but it resolved faster for me. Likewise use dhclient only if your router is set up for DHCP assignment.

If you want info on your network's name (router name or essid) use the following command

sudo iwlist ath0 scanning

6.) After you are connected you can reinstall Knetworkmanager using Adept or any other package manager you normally use. Don't forget to re-set your router to the encryption method and passwords you normally use after you have downloaded and re-installed your network manager.

Notes:

Many of the problems occur because people do not realize that the way to connect is by clicking a bar-graph network line when first opening the Networkmanager icon. Clicking the signal graph display is a non-intuitive way of adding a password.. They try other options in the drop down preferences list to try to connect and/or add WPA passwords etc. -- sometimes by turning off roaming, and adding entries manually. Then they try to save this new configuration for loading when Ubuntu starts up. The effect of this change is to alter the etc/network/interfaces file so that auto-scanning of networks is now disabled. The program now tries to open only the connection they specified manually -- no other networks are visible, and often the one they specified was incorrectly set up or they have moved their location and it is no longer available. Restoring the interfaces file as above removes the saved manual entry, and auto scanning is restored.

People also often assume that because they see their preferred network in the drop down list, but aren't yet connected, that they have problems with their wifi network card drivers. So they attempt to add ndiswrapper drivers, etc.This can make things worse.

Most of these user problems are NOT due to driver problems, but a simple misunderstanding of how to use the program to connect to a wireless netwok.

Re: How to Solve Many KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems

i have a broadcom 4306 card (Dell 1350)... i have NDISWrapper installed and the windows driver is working fine... i can connect to unprotected networks without any problem, however, I am having no luck at all with wpa-psk using tkip... any thoughts?

thanks,

matty

Comment

(mm0204 -- you may want to move your query to a network problem forum so others can see it and help -- this is a How-to Document location.)

Addendum to How to Solve Many KnetworkManager Wireless Connection Problems

I'd like to expand the above how-to a little -- in the network/interfaces file given above, the line:

auto ath0
      #iface ath0 inet dhcp

applies mainly to wireless cards (like mine) that use the Atheros chipset.

If your card uses a different chipset, a LiveCD install interfaces file may use a different device name for the wireless card than "ath0" -- if so, just substitute your own card's device name for the "ath0" above. (I've since seen wifi0 and some others).

If you don't know what it is, you should be able to see the correct device name in /etc/network/interfaces file of a LiveCD session. Basically you're trying to duplicate that "fresh" install network/interfaces file in your installed system.

The really important thing is to make sure the "auto" parameter is specified, and that you then try to logon using the method of clicking on the bargraph line in network manager, rather than trying to enter network setup and password entries manually.

As far as I know the above procedure is the only way to restore "automatic" connections to network manager.

Comment

The most helpful part for us was the addtional notes on how to use knetworkmanager, as we did not understand how the program actually worked and ended up making things worse by doing "too much"

Comment

If KNetwork Manager is what you want you use for configuring any network interface on a desktop or laptop (not a server where you generally want fixed ip's) i'd comment out all network reference except the loopback in /etc/network/interfaces. ie

Code:
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback
          address 127.0.0.1
          netmask 255.0.0.0

#auto eth0
          #face eth0 inet dhcp

#auto eth1
          #iface eth1 inet dhcp

#auto eth2
          #iface eth2 inet dhcp

#auto wlan0
          #iface wlan0 inet dhcp

#auto ath0
          #iface ath0 inet dhcp
          In my experience, KNetworkManager won't alter any settings in /etc/network/interfaces unless you specify settings within the KNetworkManager dialog i.e manual settings. Additionally, it won't make any record of trusted wireless networks etc if any wireless network is configured in /etc/network/interfaces. And finally anything specified within /etc/network/interfaces takes precedence over KNetworkManager. Therefore, I think the best method is to specify nothing but the loopback interface in /etc/network/interfaces , especially for users of laptop who like to connect to different wireless LANs.

Hope that is useful information to someone and please comment here if my advice isn't correct.

Natty Narwhal 11.4 KDE 4.4.3

Comment

yes! Now I can connect to wireless AP again!

They disappeared from my network manager. Indeed did something there and... well...

Ok, I see my networks but I cannot connect to any WPA or WEP AP.
            On my other Kubuntu box they work, using Marvell libertas with ndiswrapper

This box is using a Ralink USB device.
            Had it working with Ubuntu using ndiswrappert, but really like to use standard nw-manager instead of reverting to ndisw...

Suggestions are welcome

Comment

edit - post moved at request of moderator

Comment

I don't know if my problem fals in ine here, I cant see the lines of the wireless network thingy an in the network config the bar graph thing is grayed out, and I cant connect throught he wired connection, and I installed Kubuntu with Wubi.....

Comment

Working...
                X