This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Read BIOS Information

I'm still new to Linux, and many others are also. Many suffer problems getting *ubuntu to work on their system. A lot of the time the problem is due to unsupported hardware, normally a video card/driver. But settings in your BIOS could also be potential culprits. If you've been in this forum (or others) for any time, you've seen suggestions to post the results of various ls* commands. Did you know that there is a command that:

"...provides a standardized description of a computer's hardware, including characteristics such as BIOS serial number and hardware connectors. dmidecode provides a dump of the DMI data available from the BIOS."

It's dmidecode, and requires that it be run as root:
    Code:
    sudo dmidecode
    A wealth of information is revealed! This package should already be installed. If it isn't, it can be marked for installation in Adept Manager.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: HOWTO: Read BIOS Information

That's good stuff, thanks
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks for that. Marked in my little black "try and get it up and running again" book.
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

It is interesting, and probably mostly reliable information, but since the info is as reported by BIOS (and hardware is not probed), it may contain unreliable info as well.
        Just be aware of the caveats:
        http://linux.die.net/man/8/dmidecode
        http://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Did a quick look at the two links. Good stuff there! Thank you.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X