Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and 4

Hopefully, you reviewed the initial post in this thread. If you are using one of the identified versions of Kubuntu, then the steps do work. If you are using a version of Kubuntu other than those listed, then ....
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine - FF, GG, and HH w/KDE 3 and 4

having re-installed Hardy from scratch after a hard disk change, I lost play of commercial DVD's under Kubuntu. This is a dual-boot Dell 4300, DVD plays under XPpro, so not a hardware problem. I have worked through the steps in this thread, one by one (all very clear and easy, thank you all) and have at least now got the DVD start screen under kaffeine, but with a flickering picture and without cursor navigation, ie. no way to select or play. What am I missing?

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running, and what version of KDE?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Kubuntu 8.04 release 2.6.24-19-generic, KDE 3.5.9 on the Dell

Kubuntu 8.04 release 2.6,24-21-generic, KDE 3.5.10 on a Compaq nx9030 laptop (where kaffeine plays the same DVD's happily).

I had been trying to duplicate the settings from the Compaq to the Dell, but got no improvement.
          Meantime, I have found that Kaffeine, on a minimised window, will play the dvd's reasonably well (display hp W1907v, resolution 1440x900, 60Hz, ATI rage 128 graphics card). When the window exceeds about half the screen, play becomes choppy.

The Dell is dual-boot, with XP pro, S/P3. That O/S cannot handle the 1440 x 900 screen resolution anyway, so runs on 1280 x 860 (or thereabouts, the nearest it can get). It will play the same DVD's full screen, albeit with a (resolution-induced) distortion.

What surprised me a little: this is the first time Kaffeine has not worked "out of the box" after a re-install, with the same hardware (a new hard disk), and I have done several since I started with Feisty a good couple of years ago.

Comment

This worked for me. Thanks.

I had done these two steps already:

apt-get install libdvdcss2
            apt-get install w32codecs

and those two steps alone didn't get the DVDs to play in Kaffeine for me. But then when I did this:

apt-get install libxine1-all-plugins

also, then the DVDs (I'm in region 1) started playing just fine (BattleStar Galactica, Season 4, disk 3).

Note, I did not have to change my Kaffeine->Settings->xine Engine Parameters->media->DVD setting. Mine was already set at /dev/dvd which points to /dev/scd0 for me. I did not have to change it to /dev/dvd1 or /dev/dvd2. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for this HOWTO. However, it doesn't work for me.

I have all the libs mentioned (libdvdcss, libdvdread4, libxine1-all-plugins), I did the Kaffeine and vcd button thing. When I try to play a regular (commercial) DVD in Kaffeine I am repeatedly prompted to install libdvdcss - which already is installed and running in its newest release.

Any other ideas?

BTW, no other media player works either.

Thanks,
              KitKat

Comment

Here the Kaffeine is telling that libdvdcss error if the Xine engine media parameter is wrong.

Kaffeine > Settings > Xine Engine Parameters > media (Beginner Options) > dvd.device

The default is at here: /dev/dvd. It is wrong. At the konsole /1/:
                Code:
                sudo lshw
                *-cdrom:0
                description: DVD-RAM writer
                product: DVDRAM GSA-4165B
                vendor: HL-DT-ST
                physical id: 2
                bus info: scsi@3:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/cdrom1
                logical name: /dev/cdrw1
                logical name: /dev/dvd1
                logical name: /dev/dvdrw1
                logical name: /dev/scd0
                logical name: /dev/sr0
                With the /dev/sr0 no libdvdcss errors...

/1/ man lshw
                NAME
                lshw - list hardware

SYNOPSIS
                lshw [ -version ]

lshw [ -help ]

lshw [ -X ]

lshw [ -html | -short | -xml | -businfo ] [ -class class ... ] [ -disable test ... ] [ -enable test ... ] [ -sanitize ] [
                -numeric ] [ -quiet ]

DESCRIPTION
                lshw is a small tool to extract detailed information on the hardware configuration of the machine. It can report exact memory configuration, firmware version, mainboard configuration, CPU version and speed, cache configuration, bus speed, etc. on DMI-capable x86 or IA-64 systems and on some PowerPC machines (PowerMac G4 is known to work).
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi,

yeah, that's exactly the message I get from Kaffeine. But lshw tells me that for my drive /dev/dvd should work (see below).

Code:
                  *-cdrom                                            
                          description: DVD-RAM writer                                
                          product: DVD-RAM UJ-841S                                 
                          vendor: MAT****A                                     
                          physical id: 0.1.0                                    
                          bus info: scsi@0:0.1.0                                  
                          logical name: /dev/cdrom                                 
                          logical name: /dev/cdrw                                  
                          logical name: /dev/dvd                                  
                          logical name: /dev/dvdrw                                 
                          logical name: /dev/scd0                                  
                          logical name: /dev/sr0                                  
                          version: 1.00                                       
                          capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram                
                          configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc
                  Interestingly enough, it does work when I do the change. I don't really have to get that but it works so I'm quite happy.

Thanks,
                  KitKat

Comment

Working...
                  X