This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista dual boot

I'm new to linux. I'm wondering if this is possible.
    I have Vista installed on one hard drive and I want to install Kubuntu on a separate hard drive. Will GRUB recognize Vista on the separate hard drive. Is there a certain process I should follow?

Re: Vista dual boot

Go see Reply #11, July 17, 2007, under:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

(Yes, you can do it.)

BTW, Please post any questions/issues under Installation and Boot in the regular Kubuntu Feisty/or-whatever sections of the forum -- thanks--Mike)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have this set up with XP. I would remove the vista drive to avoid confusion before you install. Then, plug in the Kubuntu_to_be drive as primary and go ahead and install the OS and put grub in the MBR.

Shutdown and plug the vista drive back in and reboot. In a Konsole type sudo fdisk -l. This will tell you the position of the vista drive. You can then edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst as per Qmike's how-to to reflect the vista drive. Remember that grub starts with 0. So hda would be hd0 and so on.

By doing it this way your windows install will not be affected by installing Linux. Should you choose to remove Linux You could put the vista drive back in the primary slot and boot away.

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Here is some more info that may help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=124989
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Thank you both. I will take the plunge soon.

Comment

Working...
          X