This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers

Disclaimer: I have personally only tested the Envy installer on my Nvidia GeF 7900GS, GeF 8800GTS, and GeF 9600GT, but it has been used by many other folks on many other Nvidia and ATI cards. YMMV, of course.

And thanks to Alberto Milone for this excellent contribution to life with *buntu!

EDIT: Updated 20 NOV 2008, to reflect procedure for Intrepid Ibex

Download the Envy script installer from here. Look at the table of Operating Systems on that page. For Kubuntu versions up to and including Gutsy (7.10), you want the file linked at "Get Envy Legacy" at the bottom of the left-hand side of that table. Download it to your Desktop, right-click it, and choose "Kubuntu Package Manager > Install". For Hardy Heron (8.04) you want the file linked at "Get EnvyNG-Core" on the bottom right-hand side of the OS table.

Open Adept Manager and mark the package "envyng-qt" for installation. Click "Apply" on the top Adept menu to install it.

Or better yet, install it from the CLI:

First get out of the X server with Ctrl-Alt-F1, then log in at the CLI and shut down the X server with

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    then do these:

1. Back up your existing xorg.conf file

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    2. Install and run EnvyNG

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-qt
    Code:
    sudo envyng -t
    For Nvidia cards, choose #1 "Install Nvidia driver", and follow guidance to choose a driver. For ATI cards, choose that option. The rest of this guidance is for Nvidia cards. For ATI cards, use the Catalyst utility to adjust settings.

3. When you are returned to the CLI prompt, run the Nvidia xorg configuration utility:

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    4. When it is done writing a new xorg.conf file, restart the X server with
    Code:
    startx
    Then, if you don't like the resolution, do two things:

1. Stay far, far away from "System Settings > Monitor & Display"

2. Do Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" and set the resolution as you want it for default. It's best to leave the refresh rate set on "Auto". When you have it the way you want it, click the "Save to X Configuration File" button, and save it. Now it's your default setting.

EnvyNG will install an icon in your System menu. As shown above, you can also run it from a Konsole window, in text mode, with
    Code:
    sudo envyng -t
    Write that one down -- it is priceless when your video driver is broken and you can only get a CLI prompt!

The latest version of Envy does a great job of pulling in its own dependent packages, but if you see a "missing dependencies" error when you attempt to install it, note the package(s) that are the problem, abort the Envy installation, and use Adept Manager or Synaptic to install the missing package(s), then restart the Envy installation and it should proceed without a problem.

If you have mucked up your system with previous (failed) attempts to install a driver, you might want to choose first to "uninstall the proprietary driver" from EnvyNG's menu, before installing the new driver.

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers

Don't panic, just write down the names of the packages that it wants, open Adept or Synaptic and mark them for installation
    Just a note to add. When you open Synaptic, it will report broken packages. You can click on the status tab to see the packages or just click on edit and then click Fix-Broken-Packages. This will grab all the dependencies and properly configure Envy.

Adept may have this function as well. I don't know because I don't use it.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher

When you open Synaptic, it will report broken packages. You can click on the status tab to see the packages or just click on edit and then click Fix-Broken-Packages. This will grab all the dependencies and properly configure Envy.
      I didn't know that -- thanks!

Comment

This really helped me a lot! Everyone should know this Envy-thing! It's so easy to install the correct driver with the help of Envy. Thanks a lot dibl!
        I use Firefox because it's better and safer, I use Linux because it's the best of the best. Together they are like magic. USE THE FORCE, CHOOSE FREE AS IN FREEDOM!

Comment

This was great! Saved me from doing a reinstall!

Thank you!

Steve
          Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.

Comment

Working...
          X