Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change the default boot sequence?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change the default boot sequence?

Hi,

I am a Linux newby and recently installed Kubuntu on a second HDD.

There are no problems with the installation and setup, however I would like to change the default boot from Kubunto on the second drive to Windows on my first HDD - how do I do that please.

Thanks,
    Mulgravia.

Re: How to change the default boot sequence?

Since there about a zillion posts on the subject, I'll just advise you to search this forum on "menu.lst", which is a file in /boot/grub that you will be editing with a text editor.

Comment

This will help you:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...hangeDefaultOS
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I have checked out both replies and cannot find any reference to changing the boot sequence for TWO internal drives, everything I have found refers to one drive with two or more partitions.

My first drive C: (HD0,0) containins the Windows OS and the other drive (HD1,0) with the Kubuntu OS.

It looks to me (but what I know ?) that it could be done during boot-up, where there are a number of options from which I can choose to boot to Either OS, or edit etc... I just want to change the Default boot from Kubuntu to Windows.

Regards,
        Mulgravia.

Comment

It doesn't matter the structure of your hard drives (two drives, two partitions--internal, external). The only thing that matters is how they appear in the Grub menu.

Code:
          default 0
          means the first entry is default. It doesn't matter if the first entry refers to the first partition of the first drive or the third partition of the second drive or the second partition of the third drive. It's the first entry that appears.

Code:
          default 1
          refers to the second entry, and
          Code:
          default 2
          refers to the third entry and so on.

If you're still unsure, post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file here, and we'll help you sort it.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

For the convenience of Kubuntu beginners, along with the (more advanced) GRUB toolkit, I fixed the GRUB toolkit to include this common, beginner topic:

HOW To: Change the Default Operating System
            (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips)

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...62759#msg62759

I placed it in a separate post following the toolkit.
            That way, it's all here, and will be easy to maintain.
            I included a few other "tutorial" tips there, as well.

I remember this was the first Kubuntu question I had, too, along with other people I knew who were dual booting.

--Mike
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
            X