Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP & STATIC. Lin & Win. All working! How I did it ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP & STATIC. Lin & Win. All working! How I did it ...

Network Setup in Kubuntu
    Created by ORBIT

This How-To will explain how I got my Network setup completely working on Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy).

It covers multiple configs for Local Area Network including DHCP and STATIC I.P and Bridging (for different networks e.g. Work & Home).
    Setting up SAMBA to enable filesharing as well as making your Linux Box visible to Windows Machines.
    Configuring WIRELESS Ad-Hoc Networking between your Linux Box and WindowsXP.
    Simultaneously being able to connect your LAN and Wireless to different Networks.
    Procedures for adjusting between networks as well as examples of relevant configs.

This How-To is done with screenshots and examples of my working configs, therefore it was too big to post on this forum (3.4Meg), so you can download it here:

N.B. Someone posted that they could not read the screenshots for the original How-to, so I have revised it into an OpenOffice 2.10 Presentation with extra big screenshots, everyone should now be able to easily read it.

The Revised version can be found at:
    http://s1.quicksharing.com/v/7251902...Edgy_.pps.html

I hope you can benefit from this document.

Cheers

ORBIT

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP & STATIC. Lin & Win. All working! How I did it ...

This is a great link..
    Very articulate and clear and its the easiest HowTo to follow that I have
    come across, esp on this topic.

Unfortunately I can't fully benefit from it because I am on Vista and not XP.

I couldn't ensure that the Vista machine was using ESSID "wifi"
    I tried to figure out the equivalent in the wireless adapters properties
    but they are completely different.

I am also a newbie so... Damn I was so close!!

Thanks and Well done..
    Mo

Comment

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP & STATIC. Lin & Win. All working! How I did it

Interesting but the pictures are too small to be readable.

Comment

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP & STATIC. Lin & Win. All working! How I did it ...

Hi printarg, Try my new revised version of the How-To.
        I think you'll be very happy with the results

Cheers

ORBIT

Comment

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP & STATIC. Lin & Win. All working! How I did it

What a cool slideshow you put together! Thanks!!
          Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought! In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the bootmaker. <br /> -Mikhail Bakunin-, &quot;God and the State&quot;

Comment

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP &amp; STATIC. Lin &amp; Win. All working! How I did it ...

I tried to take a look at the link but all that I get is a screen that shows downloads for full length movies. Is the link bad?

Comment

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP &amp; STATIC. Lin &amp; Win. All working! How I did it ...

Hi wardduncan,

At the top left of the window, you have to click on the link that says [Download File].

Hope this helps

Cheers

ORBIT

Comment

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP &amp; STATIC. Lin &amp; Win. All working! How I did it

It shows File Deleted now.

Comment

Re: Ad-Hoc Wireless, Samba, DHCP &amp; STATIC. Lin &amp; Win. All working! How I did it

Same here. I thought it might help me get my printer working. I can get it seen by the windows machine but it says access denied and I can't work out what to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X