• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting date & time

Dell Inspirion 9100
    Kubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Dual booting WinXP & Kubuntu

Problem: System reverting to UTC when I boot into Kubuntu and will not retain current timezone nor correct time.

Details: WinXP displays the correct system time as does the hardware clock. Yet when I boot into a newly installed Kubuntu, the clock displays the UTC time. By right-clicking the clock and selecting "Adjust date & time" I am able to change the time zone, apply , then OK. Once the windows closes, the time displays incorrectly. Upon re-opening the "Adjust date & time" window, it lists my current time as UTC, again.

I have run sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade
    I have also ran the Adept Updater to ensure that any patch were applied.

My questions are:

1) How do I force Kubuntu to use PST instead of UTC
    2) and, how can I set the system clock from the Kubuntu Konsole.

-Ryan

Re: Adjusting date & time

Have you tried setting the date and time in the "Configure KDE Control Module"? If not, do this:

Open your "System" folder. (should be on the desktop)
    Click on the "Settings" icon.
    Click on the "System Administration" icon.
    Click on "Date and Time" icon
    (This requires entering your login password.)
    Now the "Configure KDE Control Module" dialog will open.
    From here you can set the correct time zone, date, time, etc. and also set your clock.

MAKE SURE you do NOT check the "automatic" box in the upper left corner!

That should do it if everything else is OK. Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by chscag
      Have you tried setting the date and time in the "Configure KDE Control Module"? If not, do this:

Open your "System" folder. (should be on the desktop)
      Click on the "Settings" icon.
      Click on the "System Administration" icon.
      Click on "Date and Time" icon
      (This requires entering your login password.)
      Now the "Configure KDE Control Module" dialog will open.
      From here you can set the correct time zone, date, time, etc. and also set your clock.

MAKE SURE you do NOT check the "automatic" box in the upper left corner!

That should do it if everything else is OK. Regards.
      Chscag, Thanks for the response. It seems right-clicking the clock on the KDE 3.4.3 desktop seems to route to the same location, prompting for the password, etc. Though I stepped through your steps to ensure that I was being thorough.

Upon entering the Configure - KDE Control Module...
      - The "set date and time automatically" was not checked - correct
      - The "Current time zone" was defaulted to UTC - incorrect
      - The time zone drop down box was set to America/Los_Angeles - correct

Strangely enough, re-selecting America/Los_Angeles then selecting the "Apply" button changed the displayed analog clock to the correct time for this time zone. (*Note, it only changed the clock in the Control Module and not the desktop clock) I selected the "OK" button to close the Control Module and opened the KDE Konsole to see if PST was my current timezone and it was not.

user@laptop:~$ date
      Mon Nov 7 23:41:55 UTC 2005

Comment

Hi:

One other place to check: Open the "System" icon again and click on settings. This time open the "Country/Region and Language" options. Check to be sure the correct region is selected and the other formats are correct.

UTC time is actually Pacific + 8 hours. Is the UTC time being shown correctly when you subtract 8 hours to get PST?

offhand I can't think of anything else that would mess up the time or would cause the settings not to stay. Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by chscag
          Hi:

One other place to check: Open the "System" icon again and click on settings. This time open the "Country/Region and Language" options. Check to be sure the correct region is selected and the other formats are correct.
          >> In checking the "Country/Region and Language" options, under the "Time & Date" tab, I had originally set the time formatting format from "HH:MM:SS" to "pH:MM:SS AMPM." All other fields are set accordingly.

UTC time is actually Pacific + 8 hours. Is the UTC time being shown correctly when you subtract 8 hours to get PST?
          >> Yes, the UTC time being show is accurate.

offhand I can't think of anything else that would mess up the time or would cause the settings not to stay. Regards.
          >> Same here, I was wondering if the timezone was set in a .conf file on the system in any place. When I reboot into the Windows partition it displays the correct, accurate time in the Pacific timezone. To further complicate matters, I loaded Kubuntu on a spare PC and I am not experiencing the timezone issue. This is the first that I have seen it; a previous Fedora Core 4 installation was not problematic in this regard.

I'll keep digging and I'll be sure to update if and when I figure it out. Still not certain if this is a bug with Kubuntu or KDE.

Comment

Resolved!
            Here are the steps to resolution (linked to from here http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kisimlar/...html#utcsticks)

How to disable system time/date from being reset to UTC (GMT)?
            1.) Change your timezone by typing the command below in Konsole, and following the prompts:

~$ sudo tzconfig

2) Restart (logout & login) your KDE session.

To be certain, I rebooted and the time is now correct & accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by rezlo
              Resolved!
              Here are the steps to resolution (linked to from here http://kudos.berlios.de/kf/kisimlar/...html#utcsticks)

How to disable system time/date from being reset to UTC (GMT)?
              1.) Change your timezone by typing the command below in Konsole, and following the prompts:

~$ sudo tzconfig

2) Restart (logout & login) your KDE session.

Thanks for posting the fix for all to see. This should have been able to be resolved through the system settings rather than have to resort to a terminal command. These little "gotchas" make for a frustrating experience, epecially for those who are new to Linux.
              Kubuntu programmers - take notice! >

Regards and happy computing.

To be certain, I rebooted and the time is now correct & accurate.

Comment

chscag = sux at the internet.

btw, the post did help me resolve my time/date issue as well thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X