X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Vaio A217M Laptop - ACPI & Shutdown

Hi

I have a Sony Vaio A217M Laptop, and it has Kubuntu Hoary working just fine... Well apart from at shutdown it does everything but power-off once the OS has finished its shutdown sequence.

The default install of Kubuntu had the asus_acpi module running which kept bringing up screen error messages (its a Sony laptop, not Asus) and this was easily blacklisted.

Has the Sony ACPI module been updated in the Breezy release and does anyone know if the shutdown problem has been resolved??

Help appreciated

Steve

Re: Sony Vaio A217M Laptop - ACPI & Shutdown

Don't think this is just a Sony problem.

I have similar problems with my Dell.

Shutdown seems to be working okay at the moment, but sometimes when I startup, it loads the modules, and then the screen goes blank as if it is starting kde, but nothing else happens. I need to do a hard reboot to get the system back.

ACPI itsself is not the problem, it's the manufacturuers implementation of the standard (or it works for Windows, so that'll do mentality).

I remember reading somewhere that you can fix this issue with an update of DTST (??) which I think is some low level table detailing the ACPI stuff - Anybody who knows about this stuff, please jump in!!!

Comment

Sorted - for VAIO at least...

I have re-installed OS, but this time I passed the initial install the 'noapic nolapic' parameters. I think you can put these into the menu.lst for the grub boot params manually - mine reads (section);

---
      title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386
      root (hd0,0)
      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro noapic nolapic quie
      t splash
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
      savedefault
      boot
      ---

Give this a go and see what happens

Cheers
      Steve

Comment

Steve1401...that worked I added the "noapic nolapic" parameters to the menu.lst. Now, I can reboot/shutdown my laptop. Its an M6 Asus/Intel custom built widescreen. Previously, in Hoary, reboot/shutdown had worked fine. Also, using the "sudo chmod -x /etc/init.d/lvm" to shutdown lvm helped which was posted by whoiam55 in another post.

Comment

Working...
        X