This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Empty Storage Media???

after updating kubuntu from Adept, and restarting my computer.

trying to view my Storage Media from Konqueror and nothing appears(its just empty)... i can no longer see my mounted windows partition and linux partition. im wondering what happened after the update... totally lost here.... and new in linux.

can anybody help me out here?

thankz!!!

Re: Empty Storage Media

I can confirm this. I did an apt-get update last night and my 'media' tab in Konqueror is now empty.

But... now when I plug in my USB storage device, it does appear up in the media tab (this was not working yesterday). Newly inserted cdroms are also showing up. However, my other permanent storage devices are not there.

When I remove the media, the listing disappears.

Perhaps media only shows currently mounted/inserted removable media?

-Paul

Comment

actually modifying /etc/defaults/hal helps in running it
      # This will run the hal daemon as normal user 'hal' with some additional
      # privileges; This will not execute callout scripts as root (so fstab-sync
      # won't work) and makes hal unable to do filesystem type autodetection for
      # non-removable devices.
      DAEMON_OPTS=

# This will run the hal daemon as user root
      DAEMON_OPTS=--retain-privileges
      uncommenting the last row makes hal run as root, but also show all devices in media:/

I don't know why, probably there are still some issues with the hal package (because in hoary it worked fine with dropped privileges)

Hope it helps

Comment

I have this problem too.

When I put removable media (CD, DVD, Pendrive) to the reader ,I get this text in Konqueror. I can't use it.

An error occurred while loading media:/hdd:
        The file or folder media:/hdd does not exist.

What can I do?

Comment

I was having the same problem, but after trying ra1n's suggestion, works perfectly now. Thanks ra1n!

Comment

Originally posted by ra1n
            actually modifying /etc/defaults/hal helps in running it
            # This will run the hal daemon as normal user 'hal' with some additional
            # privileges; This will not execute callout scripts as root (so fstab-sync
            # won't work) and makes hal unable to do filesystem type autodetection for
            # non-removable devices.
            DAEMON_OPTS=

# This will run the hal daemon as user root
            DAEMON_OPTS=--retain-privileges
            uncommenting the last row makes hal run as root, but also show all devices in media:/

I don't know why, probably there are still some issues with the hal package (because in hoary it worked fine with dropped privileges)

Hope it helps
            Ok. I updated today after a full install of Kubuntu, and lost all of my media. I searched this forum and found this as an answer to help. Seems to be the only one to match my problem, anyway. Now, trying this fix, I get an error:

Error - Kate

"The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:///etc/default/hal.

Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available."

Now, I've searched for write access in the forums, and I've found a ton of things that say to enable root access and what not. On that same hand, I've also seen a dozen or more posts stating that you shouldn't do that. So, here I am, trying to access files, and can't. I'm at a total loss.

Oh yeah, I'm quite new and used the search feature and could link posts I've found.

Comment

From a blank desktop, riight click on desktop, click "run command", type "kdesu kate /etc/defaults/hal", enter your password when requested, edit the file, save it, enjoy.

Comment

Very much obliged for that.

Comment

Working...
                X