This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network settings prob

Installed Breezy on my laptop. Some sort of G-Max.
    Unfortunately did it at home where I do not have network available. So this morning I brought the laptop to my office and tried to configure network.
    a) I had known bug with admin mode button being unaccessible (behind the lower edge of screen)
    b) when I did sudo kcontrol I still failed to start the network. It shows my devices (NIC and wifi) as disabled. I configured NIC to use dhcp. It worked OK. When I tried to enable the device it showed enabled for a second or so and then changed to disabled again.

Reading sudo-root page I came to think that the cause might be that I enabled root. So I disabled it as told on the page but this had no influence on anything.

Re: Network settings prob

I had the same problem with mine system. Got it fixed by going to /etc/network/interfaces file directly and set the information right.

Comment

Awwww... its been a while since I did such things - been mostly on Win for half a year. What should I have there?
      Right now its

Code:
      mapping hotplug
              script grep
              map eth0

iface eth1 inet
      iface eth0 inet dhcp
      Looks OK to me but I am not sure

Comment

Looks like you're missing a method for eth1 - either dhcp, static or manual should go there (with the relevant options in later stanzas if you use static)...

Comment

Its because i do it one step at a time. If I cannot get NIC (eth0) working (needed in the office), I do not care about wifi (eth1, needed only occasionally out of office).

Comment

Then you need to put "manual" in there - you can't just leave the config file malformed because you're not bothered with that bit yet...

Comment

Originally posted by wahur
              Installed Breezy on my laptop. Some sort of G-Max.
              Unfortunately did it at home where I do not have network available. So this morning I brought the laptop to my office and tried to configure network.
              a) I had known bug with admin mode button being unaccessible (behind the lower edge of screen)
              b) when I did sudo kcontrol I still failed to start the network. It shows my devices (NIC and wifi) as disabled. I configured NIC to use dhcp. It worked OK. When I tried to enable the device it showed enabled for a second or so and then changed to disabled again.

Reading sudo-root page I came to think that the cause might be that I enabled root. So I disabled it as told on the page but this had no influence on anything.

Please, try this:

1 - sudo kedit /etc/network/interfaces
              2 - Replace ALL contents with this, from the Kanotix distro (I had this problem and this saved me):

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8 ), ifdown(8 )
              # from Kanotix 200.3

# The loopback interface
              # automatically added when upgrading
              auto lo
              iface lo inet loopback

auto dsl-provider
              iface dsl-provider inet ppp
              provider dsl-provider
              # please do not modify the following line
              pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

3 - save
              4 - sudo pppoeconf
              5 - configure everything the usual way
              6 - reboot
              Nevermore! Nevermore! - E. A. Poe

Comment

Re: Network settings prob - solved

And the prize for the right answer goes to...

benzo8!

Simply adding manual to eth1 and rebooting did the job and network started to work.

benzo8, you have an unlimited amount of virtual beer on me and should you ever come to Estonia, I can add some non-virtual beer

Other than that, I think that this sudo stuff is raw and broken in Kubuntu, and I do not like it, secure or not.

Comment

Working...
                X