This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror icons don't autoalign and firefox is terribly slow

Hello all. I just upgraded from Hoary to Breezy and it seems pretty good so far. However, I have 2 problems:

- Konqueror has stopped autoaligning the icons to grid and there's apparently no option to change it (or I haven't found it).

- Firefox takes forever to launch and it's very slow. Actually, all gtk applications take quite a while. They were already not very fast in Hoary, but now it's like 4 times slower.

Thx in advance.

Re: Konqueror icons don't autoalign and firefox is terribly slow

Originally posted by chessmani
    - Konqueror has stopped autoaligning the icons to grid and there's apparently no option to change it (or I haven't found it).
    So you're telling me you don't get this option when you right-click on the desktop?

- Firefox takes forever to launch and it's very slow. Actually, all gtk applications take quite a while. They were already not very fast in Hoary, but now it's like 4 times slower.
    It shouldn't take "forever" to launch, but here are some tips on how to speed up the use of Firefox--doesn't affect the launching time, though.

Have you considered upgrading to KDE 3.5 beta?
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I do get that option in the desktop, but not in konqueror. I mean, when I go to /home/user some icons are well placed in the grid and rest are not.

As for firefox, surfing has improved quite a lot thx to your tweak ^^, though my main problem is the launch time. 20 secs in a 1.7Ghz Centrino is way too much I think.

I've just upgraded to Breezy and I'd prefer to stay with a stable version, so I would rather not upgrade for now.

Thx btw.

Comment

Update:

Firefox launching speed is solved. Takes from 5 to 10 secs now. Seems that when I upgraded the distro the new scim slowed all gtk applications. I've just uninstalled and installed it again, and now it works again. Dunno the real reason though.

On the other hand, I still have no clue about the Konqueror issue.

Comment

I'm also facing same problem, If open any folder folder icons are well aligned, If I delete some files icons are not automatically aligned in the free space, I have to press F5 or reload button, desktop case is even worse than this, at desktop I have to click on arange icon vertically (or horizontally) every time when I delete some file (icons) from desktop. as for the firefox, you could try prelinking and hdparm tweaks to speed it, if you are a opera lover (I'm not ) download opera, it's free now without any ads.
          cheers!
          -=|From the desk of|=-
          «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
          «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
          «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
          Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Heh, I prefer firefox

At least your konqueror does align your icons when you refresh, but mine doesn't. It's really annoying in some cases because some folders are completely disarranged.

Comment

Could someone report this to the bug tracker? I don't know how to.

Some more details: if I remove the disarranged icons (because some are not) the rest will align to grid after refresh.

EDIT: somebody did already.

https://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17697

Comment

Working...
              X