This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KControlCenter's administrator mode failed

i'm having a problem on modifying some system settings, they required me to use the administrator mode.. but the problem is, after clicking on the administrator mode.. nothing happens.

i'm just new in kubuntu(actually new in linux) and its kinda frustrating for me to be having this problem. i also tried reinstalling kubuntu, but the same thing happens. Please.. i really need to solve this problem.

thanks.

Re: KControlCenter's administrator mode failed

I have the same problem wheg trying to modify disk settings.

Comment

Hi,

I do not know a solution, but an easy workaround:

1. Open the Menu editor ans pick the menu item "system settings"
      2. modify the entry by adding "kdesu" in the beginning of the command line (mine looks like "kdesu systemsettings -caption "%c" %i %m"

The effect is that every time you access the system settings you have to enter your password, but you"re permanently in administrator mode while modifying the settings.
      For those wanting to differentiate between "user mode control centre" and "administrator mode control centre": Just add another menu entry and for administration pick whatever is convenient for the respective task.

Comment

it WORKED!!!! thanx a lot!!!!!

i just hope they can fix that bug... so that it wont be too frustrating for new kubuntu(linux) user like me.

i really appreciate the quick reply...

again.. thanx a lot. 

Comment

I had the same problem after I installed the kdebase package. Part of this package was /usr/bin/kcontrol, so I just added it to my menu and run it as root. Kcontrol is the old (5.04) way of administrating the system.

Comment

Originally posted by ehyb
            i'm having a problem on modifying some system settings, they required me to use the administrator mode.. but the problem is, after clicking on the administrator mode.. nothing happens.

i'm just new in kubuntu(actually new in linux) and its kinda frustrating for me to be having this problem. i also tried reinstalling kubuntu, but the same thing happens. Please.. i really need to solve this problem.

thanks.
            Have you filed a bug report at ubuntu's bugzilla?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeo
              Kcontrol is the old (5.04) way of administrating the system.
              KDE Control Center is still the efficient way to administrate KDE. The systemsettings app, as it is, is extremelly limited and flaky. Maybe in a couple of minor versions it will be up to par compared with kcontrol.

Right now, it's only strong point is the user interface. The rest is lacking a bit of development and it is missing a lot of functionality.

Comment

Seems this has been fixed with the latest batch of updates today. At least on my machine it is.

Comment

Working...
                X