This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Problems

5.04 installed and worked great on my vmware 4.5.2, well except for the SCSI problem. I had to do "modprobe BusLogic" in another shell window in order for Hoary to detect vmware SCSI harddrive.

I installed 5.10 on the same vmware today. I'm glad that it recognized vmware SCSI harddrive without any tweaking.

Howerver the system halted for about 10 minutes during installation at a window that has a title like "Configuring APT", and a progress bar of 50%, and a line of text "detecting network...". The text above is not exact, just gives a clue where it happens.

After the halt, it proceeded alright. When it's done the first stage and wanted to reboot, it halted again. This time it seems to be permanent. It was taking 100% of the CPU. The screen showed the text below when this happened:

Sending SIGKILL to all processes.
    Please stand by while rebooting the system.
    [4295567.833000] Restarting system.

I then had to reset the virtual pc. When it finally booted up, network was working fine.

Re: Install Problems

Originally posted by jlist
    Howerver the system halted for about 10 minutes during installation at a window that has a title like "Configuring APT", and a progress bar of 50%, and a line of text "detecting network...". The text above is not exact, just gives a clue where it happens.
    actually when you setup your network at installation time, it is assumed that you are connected from a broadband connection. So apt try to fetch that latest security and fixes to updates it's database. don't worry, it's normal.
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Re: Install Problems

Originally posted by whoiam55
      actually when you setup your network at installation time, it is assumed that you are connected from a broadband connection. So apt try to fetch that latest security and fixes to updates it's database. don't worry, it's normal.
      Oh, my pc was connected so I guess that is what it was doing. It would be much better if the prompt show some dynamic content - I wanted to shut it down a few times then I decided to be patient this time I didn't expect it recover.

Failing to reboot is still an issue. It happened later again when adept hang. I wanted to reboot and the system hang.

Comment

Working...
      X