This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network and Admin Problems

Well first of all I have to say I really like the new look and feeling of Breezy but I have some serious problems compared to Hoary.

I've worked with Hoary until yesterday and never noticed any problems..... well until I changed to Breezy.

My System:
    Samsung X30 Notebook with a resolution of 1280x800 (NVIDIA 5200 GO) and a Broadcom network adapter.

So what are the Problems:
    I set up Breezy from scratch as Windows Vista has overwritten Grub and I wasn't able to get it installed via the rescue mode.

After the installation everything worked fine until I did a Full Update in the console (#apt-get update #apt-get upgrade)
    After doing this and restarting my system the screen resolution still was at 1280x800 but everthing looked diffused.

I've seen this in Gentoo before so I decided to update my nvidia driver what I wasn't able to do as my network connection didn't worked anymore.
    I tried to get into the admin mode of kcontrol to change the network settings and noticed the third bug as I wasn't able to log in, it shows me the root login but after the authentification it is changing back to normal mode instantly.

So I tried to root-edit the interfaces list by using the new edit as root option in konqueror and ended up in a dcopserver error.
    I switched to the shell and tried using kdesu kcontrol which didn't worked at all as I also get an dcopserver error.

Well, I then edited the interfaces list by using sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces which I was able to...the problem is, everthing looked fine in there so I decided to setup Breezy again.

Done and it worked again like charm. After about 4 reboots of the system without changing anything, the network didn't worked anymore an I had the dcopserver error again.
    In the shell, ifconfig now doesn't worked anymore (it doesn't show anything and if I set eth0 to up it still shows nothing at all)...again..I did not updated the system or changed something this time so this confuses me a bit.

Bug-List:
    - Strange resolution problems (NVIDIA Driver may fix it)
    - Unable to use the Admin-Mode as already described by an user in this post: http://kubuntuforums.net/index.php?topic=402.0
    - Unable to activate the network (worked but then stopped working whitout doing system changes), sounds like the problem described here: http://kubuntuforums.net/index.php?topic=217.0 but this solution doesn't work for me.

Again, I never had such problems in Hoary and also didn't have those after the Breezy installation. They came up after some reboots of the system or after doing an apt-get upgrade.

It would be great if someone who maybe has the same problems or already found a solution could post this in here

[UPDATE]
    --------------
    add
    rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-*
    at the beginning of
    /etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup
    --------------
    By doing this I'm able again to enter the admin mode, however if I try to activate my eth0, it is been shown as activated for some seconds and then switches back to deactivated.

[UPDATE...again ]
    Well I found a temporary fix for the network problem. I need to set my network up by using ifconfig every time I'm restarting Kubuntu..at least I'm able to try an upgrade this way
    # ifconfig eth0 ${IP_ADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK} up
    # route add default gw ${GATEWAY}

maybe this will help someone with similar problems

thx
    --michael aka cyberlink
Working...
X