This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KSnapshot no longer capturing window decorations

Anyone else seeing this? I just noticed it today and reported it. KDE bug 288514.

Window decorations are not being captured now, even though "Include window
    decorations" is checked. I tend to post lots of screenshots on
    Kubuntuforums.net and noticed today that an image I posted is missing the
    decoration:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-e...-installer.png.
    Looking through my postings, the latest one including a image where the
    decorator was captured was on 21 Nov 2011:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8...sociations.png.

Re: KSnapshot no longer capturing window decorations

Does Ctrl+M bring up the menu bar, and do F4, F7, F9 and F11 show their respective panels?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Seems to work as expected on my end, have you tried disabling desktop effects to see if that makes a difference? Might be a display driver issue.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Does Ctrl+M bring up the menu bar, and do F4, F7, F9 and F11 show their respective panels?
        I think you're asking about Dolphin...? If so, yes, Dolphin is behaving normally, including all the functions you asked about. It's KSnapshot that isn't working now.

Originally posted by kubicle
        Seems to work as expected on my end, have you tried disabling desktop effects to see if that makes a difference? Might be a display driver issue.
        That could very well be the problem. My computer upgraded its nVidia drivers from 285.05.09 to 290.10 on 23 Nov, two days after my last successful snapshot with a decorator. Let's see what happens if I disable effects...

...indeed. Compare:

Calc with effects off

Calc with effects on

So with effects off, Oxygen's Active Window Glow is disabled, and the blue one-pixel decorator appears in the snapshot. But when effects are enabled, the glow decorator fails to appear in the snapshot, even when "Include window decorations" is enabled. I'll update the bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
          even when "Include window decorations" is enabled.
          Well, it does (sort of) include the window decoration, as the titlebar and window control buttons are part of the decoration (if you untick "include window decorations", those won't be included).

So it's more like the shadow effect isn't included in the snapshot. I'd still call that a bug, though...especially if it worked previously.

Comment

Well, it does (sort of) include the window decoration, as the titlebar and window control buttons are part of the decoration (if you untick "include window decorations", those won't be included).
            Ah, good catch. I didn't even notice that until I tried again just now.

So it's more like the shadow effect isn't included in the snapshot. I'd still call that a bug, though...especially if it worked previously.
            Agreed. But whose bug...nVidia or KSnapshot?

Comment

Agreed. But whose bug...nVidia or KSnapshot?
              Beats me. It might also be a direct result of changes I recall were made to the shadow/glow effect in kwin/oxygen. Have you tried using a different window decoration? (at least the qtcurve windec has a shadow/glow effect)

Including the glow/shadow in the snapshot could be tricky, as I assume it's not technically part of the window (but rather an effect around the window)...for example, should the snapshot include the "transparent" effect and also the desktop that is visible behind the effect, etc.

Anyway, keep us notified if you get any feedback on that bug report.

Comment

humm how do I get so blessed............. hear Kubuntu-11.04-netupgraded to-11.10 KDE-4.7.3 Oxygen blue glow dose show

and transparency dose to..........

interestingly enough though the "include window decorations" is checked but grayed out (I cant uncheck it)

? ? ?

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

SteveRiley is taking snaphots of a "window under cursor" which is somewhat different than taking snaphots of the whole desktop.

"include window decorations" choice is not available when snapshotting whole desktop.

Comment

Including the glow/shadow in the snapshot could be tricky, as I assume it's not technically part of the window (but rather an effect around the window)...for example, should the snapshot include the "transparent" effect and also the desktop that is visible behind the effect, etc.
                    Correct, the glow includes a transparent background. The illustration below shows a screencap of KMix, kmix.png, taken before the nVidia update. The image is open in Gwenview, where you can see the transparency. You'll note Gwenview is on top of Firefox, and here the glow is clearly visible, because KSnapshot correctly records full-screens and rectangles. It's only with the window-under-cursor setting where the glow is now no longer captured.

Beats me. It might also be a direct result of changes I recall were made to the shadow/glow effect in kwin/oxygen. Have you tried using a different window decoration? (at least the qtcurve windec has a shadow/glow effect)
                    I like Oxygen quite a lot...matter of fact, it's the first theme I've ever used without any customization. I guess I'll have to experiment, here, though.

Comment

SteveRiley is taking snaphots of a "window under cursor" which is somewhat different than taking snaphots of the whole desktop.

"include window decorations" choice is not available when snapshotting whole desktop.
                      OOPS .....yes is see the same thing now with "window under cursor" sory

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                        i see the same thing now with "window under cursor"
                        Do you mean you see the same problem? That is, KSnapshot not capturing the glow with "window under cursor"?

Comment

i see the same thing now with "window under cursor"
                          Do you mean you see the same problem? That is, KSnapshot not capturing the glow with "window under cursor"?
                          yes and the block transparencies behind a shot when viewed in Gwenview

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

yes and the block transparencies behind a shot when viewed in Gwenview
                            Mind voting for the bug, then? Perhaps with at least one more person reporting, it can get some attention. Admittedly, it's pretty minor.

Comment

It's only with the window-under-cursor setting where the glow is now no longer captured.
                              That isn't the case here. The glow is captured using the Window Under Cursor option.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X