This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu AMD64 USB disks and media:/ ioslave

Rather strange, I had a bug with usb disks and kubuntu prereleases on i386 arch that on recent installation and updates was fixed.

But on a recent kubuntu 5.10 (today) for amd64 I saw the same bug, already fixed in i386 ubuntu over a week ago.

The bug was when I connect a usb pen (tried severals) or an external IDE drive and konqueror shows up saying "media:/dev/sdc1 does not exists" but the right device is pmounted on /media/usbdisk and work like a charm. Only the kde part (media:/ and desktop icon that does not shows up) seems to be broken. Also dmesg are fines and like the i386 ones.

I know how to manually make it work via fstab, but I lose some multi-usb flexibility that pmount permits me on i386. I Really don't know why it should be related on amd64 if no there is no lag between the archs.

btw in debian sid (not particulary related) both in i386 and amd64 media:/ work with usb..

In the same kubuntu 5.10 pre amd64 that I'm talking about, media:/ works for both floppy and cdroms/dvds, at last it seems only to be a usb related bug.

Re: Kubuntu AMD64 USB disks and media:/ ioslave

There should just be a floppy in media:/ (unless you have other stuff in your computer)

This is due to the pmount package which is installed by default.

it's better to go to /media/

Comment

In media:/ shows up also cdrom and my lvm devices , why it's better to go with /media ?

I'm selling this amd64 in a office like the first "office" pc in it with kubuntu, I would like them to play with media:/, it just easier for a newbie to use kde than shell or fstab. And btw just connecting a usb device shows konqueror up with a bad and misleading error message... not so good for my reputation of free software dispatcher :-)

And btw, on i386 works... dunno why amd64 does not.

This forum is also read by actual kubuntu developers?

Comment

Originally posted by tigellino
        This forum is also read by actual kubuntu developers?
        Some....

Comment

I'm having simular problems since i've updated breezy at 11-okt-2005
          and I'm on a i386 machine

Comment

I'm also seeing the problem on a i386 machine. The usb storage device is properly detected and mounted on /media/usbdisk (which, as a 10+ year linux user, is a small miracle in itself), but konqueror pops up trying to access media:/sdb1, which it claims does not exist.

Comment

Hi Guys,

while regretting not to be able to help, I just can say, that I have the very same problem on my Sony laptop with my USB stick, Firewire disk and external DVD-Writer. Does anybody know how kde updates it's virtual (media:/) folder?

Cheers,

jochen

Comment

It seems to be a reintroduced bug, but at least it is known by real kubuntu developers, and seems to depend on the fact that media:/ do not use hal (hardware abstraction layer) as shown here : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KubuntuBreezyKnownProblems

Comment

In my case (i386), not only does it not recognise my usb hard disk but also fires up konqueror continously saying that "media:/dev/sdc# does not exists" with all the partitions and doesn't stop until a while after, as if there was an infinite loop.

Comment

Same here, it opens between 1 to 3 konqueror windows saying it cannot open /media/sda1... 

Comment

Working...
                    X