This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.10 live CD will not initialize on hardware

With Kubuntu 9.04 and Ubuntu 9.10 the live CD completes its initialization procedures, with Kubuntu 9.10 the following occurs:

At the point where the desktop wallpaper image is first shown and several icons in a row in the center are first invisible, then fuzzy as each is checked by KDE (I think - this is similar to what happens when my Linspire system starts and it is KDE based) and finally distinct. The first time through the system gets as far as making a hard disk icon, a tools icon and a globe icon all distinct. But before it can get to the next icon (fuzzily in the background) the screen goes blank and in a short while returns with all icons once again missing. Only this time the process does not go as far before repeating this blank screen and return to the desktop image and attempting to firm up the icons. If left alone this will repeat endlessly.

The above "looping" happens the same way whether "Try Kubuntu" or "Install Kubutu" are selected from the initial Live CD screen. The only thing in common between the two computers with this problem appears to be: chipset VIA P4M800 and VT8237.

There is a discussion of this problem at: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new
    MoreLife for the rational: http://morelife.org<br />Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality<br />The Self-Sovereign Individual Project: http://selfsip.org<br />Self-sovereignty, rational pursuit of optimal lifetime happiness,<br />individual responsibility, social preferencing &amp; social contracting

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 live CD will not initialize on hardware

Congratulations! What you have here appears to be a GENUINE, 100% member of the genus Hemiptera, of the class Insecta, of the phylum Arthropoda, in other words a BUG. Please report your bug at Launchpad (see the top thread in this forum). If enough people do so, with enough details, the bug might get some attention from the overworked developers.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      Congratulations! What you have here appears to be a GENUINE, 100% member of the genus Hemiptera, of the class Insecta, of the phylum Arthropoda, in other words a BUG. Please report your bug at Launchpad (see the top thread in this forum). If enough people do so, with enough details, the bug might get some attention from the overworked developers.
      Thanks for accepting my report as genuine. Having been a computer person in both hardware and software for over 35 years, I can assure you that I never ask for help until and unless I am sure that a problem is genuine, repeatable (not totally distinct) and I have not been able to find a totally satisfactory work-around.

However, now when I use your link above (and after registering at Launchpad), after I enter the bug report summary and click "continue" it gives the following error message:

Timeout error

Our edge server has a lower timeout threshold than launchpad.net, so we can catch those before they hit a wider audience. As a member of the Launchpad Beta Testers team, you're more likely to experience them. If this is blocking your work, you can disable redirection.

Disable redirection for 2 hours

Sorry, something just went wrong in Launchpad.

We’ve recorded what happened, and we’ll fix it as soon as possible. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Trying again in a couple of minutes might work.

(Error ID: OOPS-1413D238)
      I have been trying several times now over a period of several hours.
      Is this perhaps a bug in the bug reporting software?

MoreLife for the rational: http://morelife.org<br />Reality based tools for more life in quantity and quality<br />The Self-Sovereign Individual Project: http://selfsip.org<br />Self-sovereignty, rational pursuit of optimal lifetime happiness,<br />individual responsibility, social preferencing &amp; social contracting

Comment

Sure looks like it. Better report it at Launchpad.

Comment

You're one sick fellow there askrieger!
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            Sure looks like it. Better report it at Launchpad.
            Alright, enough of the humor (for now).

Here is an update to the problem.
            I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 and all updates.
            I have installed Kubuntu 9.10 on top of that and all its updates.
            When I choose the KDE desktop at login time, I get the same no start problem as before, only this time instead of looping it takes me back to the login screen so that I can then select the GNOME desktop and get to it.
            Next I installed the new KDE 4.3.3 package to see if the problem was fixed there, but rebooting with that still gives the same problem of not being able get past the KDE desktop initialization screen.

Can someone please give me an operational method to report this problem to Kubuntu development?

Thanks in advance for any additional help

Comment

Excuse me if I offended you. That was not my intent. As you may have noticed, the overwhelming majority of the posts in this section are NOT bugs. They are blunders by new users who have not yet mastered this operating system. They confuse their unfamiliarity with Linux with bugs in the software when it doesn't do what they expect it to do. This is extremely tiresome to a moderator. You may note the frequency of topic moved posts in this forum compared to the rest of the site.

Accordingly, my seemingly facetious initial response recognized that you had done all the right things, and that your problem seemed (to me, who is not a Kubuntu developer) to be a genuine bug. Your background and experience were, of course, unknown to me until you related them in your response.

My comment about Launchpad is related to the fact that even if you HAD gotten through, you probably wouldn't have received a response in the forseeable future. When I was more naive, several Kubuntu releases ago, I used to triage (where possible) and post bug reports on Launchpad related to problems experienced by users on this forum who were not sufficiently sophisticated to post such bug reports themselves.

Nothing happened for YEARS. Then I started to receive emails telling me that my bug reports had been "cleared" because the period of support for the Kubuntu releases to which they had referred had expired. In other words, they didn't fix bugs, they just expired them in order to clear the books. So I stopped bothering to report bugs. In other words, if there were a way to report your problem, it probably wouldn't help you or anyone else.

If you're really a computer sophisticate and you want to help, my advice is to spend some time answering questions here. I haven't checked your history so I don't know whether you have done so or not. If you have, thank you and keep up the good work. If not, please do so.

Comment

Working...
              X