This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jaunty wipes out wireless driver - no resolution found

I have an HP Pavilion dv2000. With the recent jaunty upgrade, my wireless driver appears to have been wiped out.

- Adept manager is no help.
    - There was no warning that this would happen.
    - Searches on forums and web are no help after 15 minutes

Any help locating the wifi drivers would be greatly appreciated.

This is a major release problem. This shouldn't be happening on a widely used hardware configuration, when the previous release was working fine. Some additional QA is required - I'd be happy to file a bug report as I want kubuntu to be as successful as possible.

Thanks

Re: jaunty wipes out wireless driver - no resolution found

So as I finish typing my post, a few hours after the jaunty upgrade, the blue light comes on for the wireless antenna. (I'm an experienced user - I did not merely have the switch off. Tried it on/off several times and left it on for long periods)

Is there a background process? Glitch? What? In any case heed my experience.

Still, my network connection is wiped out and I have to re-enter the wep key, etc for both users. There must be some program to manage that in the wallet? Is the wallet wiped out for the upgrade?

Comment

I wonder whether it was Jaunty, or the new kernel that came with Jaunty, that disabled wireless? If you're using a proprietary driver, a new kernel normally requires a new driver installation.

Hmmm -- this is an interesting counterpoint to your experience:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...avilion+dv2000

but it has no help.

If your computer has a Broadcomm chip, this thread would seem to be a good place to start:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...avilion+dv2000

The generic wireless networking guidance is normally to start here to check out your hardware and driver situation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

and then go here for guidance on how to configure it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs

Comment

The initial post in this thread states "with the recent jaunty upgrade". If I am correct, this indicates that jaunty was upgraded after the initial upgrade. In my case, when I first upgraded to jaunty my broadcom wifi card was working and after upgrading the kernel it stopped. Opening the hardware drivers program does not fix the problem as the driver for the broadcom controller is not listed as a driver that has been found. Booting back into the previous version of the kernel fixes the problem.

I don't know whether the new kernel is the culprit or the kubuntu integration of the new kernel is the problem. In either case, It does not work. The problem began after upgrading the kernel headers and source from 2.6.28-11.42 to 2.6.28-12.43. Finding and installing the drivers prior to this worked great. That is why I initially switched from opensuse a few months ago to ubuntu. I have since switched to kubuntu.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I haven't had time to pursue this since last week. I do know:

Although the wireless networking worked for a brief time, it stopped working and the computer has been efectively down for a week. Reboots, etc. failed to fix the issue.
          There is a broadcomm driver and it is installed, though I didn't detect this until after a mysterious reboot had taken place.
          I assumed a kernel upgrade was part of jaunty. I didn't get any messages indicating there were two parts to the upgrade.

I'll see if I can reinstall the broadcomm driver, or if there are any updates to fix this.

Sean

Comment

OK, Dibl, that first link with the 100 steps got me back on track. Thanks for all the responses.

No system tray notification of wireless connection or strength.
            The Network Settings - System Settings don't accurately update the time an SSID was used.

Since I have two wireless networks, I'm not really sure what is going on, I think I know based on my location in the house, but the computer should tell me.

1. How can I get the system tray world/bars back up and running?

2. Also, the "Network Settings" seems to come from the 5-and-dime store (double-clicking on a connection doesn't initiate the edit action, doesn't tell what the current connection is). Is there something better?

Comment

OK, now I know about widgets. All I want is for a non-technical user to boot the laptop, log in and use a web browser. So far I've invested about 4 hours in this.

Here is a quote...

"The new network manager is quite possibly the worst piece of technology I’ve ever seen in a Linux distribution in the decade I’ve been a Linux user!"

- http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=293

The network manager does not allow you to select a connection and "connect" - have to reboot when I want it to reattempt the network connection.

Comment

I would give wicd a try, as noted in the article. Installing wicd will remove networkmanager and the plasma network widget.

Reboot and wicd should run on boot-up at which time you ought to be able to configure.

Comment

Made some progress on this...Broadcom now has a Linux STA driver with a platform independent binary and source to compile on your very own Linux. Sorry, don't have the link.

I compiled this (wl.ko) and installed it and it works sort of. At least I'm confident I have the correct driver.

I'm still having the same behavior, which is that it works for awhile, then stops working. Either the kernel is really flakely and unstable (unlikely) or there is a conflict of some sort.

If it is working, it will stay working until one of the following:
                  - You switch SSID. This is guaranteed never to work. May be a different problem.
                  - You reboot. May or may not still work after this.
                  - You remove the driver and reinstall it. It may or may not work after this.

If it is not working (hw indicator light is off), removing the driver and reinstalling it may or may not work.

Broadcom's instructions to uninstall/reinstall are:

1. sudo rmmod wl
                  2. copy wl.ko to its proper place
                  3. sudo depmod
                  4. sudo moddep wl

Any suggestions where to look for signs of a driver conflict or how to resolve?

I am using wicd, which helps a lot in troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X