This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No swap in Jaunty using alternate-i386 cd and encryption

I have installed each version of Kubuntu since Dapper on my dual boot notebook.
    Since Hardy, and the alternate CD's which allow the use of encrypted partitions, I have installed all versions the same way with one unencrypted ext3 partition for /
    one encrypted partition for /home
    one encrypted partition for swap
    and one small unencrypted partition for /root

All the previous installs have worked with no problems, especially Intrepid.
    This time with Jaunty I find the message using System Monitor that there is no swap.

cat /etc/fstab and cat /etc/crypttab for Intrepid and Jaunty produce identical results except for the UUIDs of the partitions.

I have 2G ram and 2G swap partitions - separate partitions.
    /home was encrypted using pass phrase
    swap was encrypted using random key

any ideas?
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Re: No swap in Jaunty using alternate-i386 cd and encryption

Oops! I thought that I had checked carefully, but after checking a third time, I found one small difference between the /etc/crypttab
    from Intrepid and Jaunty.

Here is the modified file.

kevin@jj:~$ cat /etc/crypttab
    sda2_crypt /dev/disk/by-uuid/4d8dbeac-d07d-435e-b6da-efce8b05dfc4 none luks
    # sda3_crypt /dev/disk/by-uuid/56ce56c3-fb43-4d3f-a6ca-2c495c99e5df /dev/urandom cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256,size=256,swap
    sda3_crypt /dev/sda3 /dev/urandom cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256,size=256,swap

The original line was commented and the new line added. I could have just deleted the uuid and replaced it with /sda3.

Now I have 2G swap again. When checking /dev/disk/by-uuid
    I noticed that there was not a link to /sda3 - my swap partition. Easily fixed.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] No swap in Jaunty using alternate-i386 cd and encryption

Is it reproducible? I re installed Kubuntu Jaunty. During the choosing the use for encrypted partitions I selected /home as the mount point for the first encrypted partition and it automatically guessed that I wanted the other encrypted partition to be swap. If you don't have an encrypted swap, the installer won't proceed past that point.

Second time, I selected the second partition and chose the 'done setting up this partition' without making any changes.

After the reboot, the swap was working properly as expected, so the solution is even easier. Select the encrypted swap partition during installation and choose 'done setting up' and it works out OK, but if you don't you will need to modify your /etc/crypttab by taking out the UUID and putting the partition reference such as /dev/sda8.

Comment

Working...
      X