This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total system hang with k7 SMP and Netgear WG311

My system is a dual Athlon MP +1600 machine with 1 GB Ram and a Radeon 9700 Pro AGP Gfx card.

I am getting complete hangs on my system when I boot my machine with the K7-smp variant of the kernel. I am 99% sure this is due to the network card (Netgear WG311) as the hang will either happen during boot when attempting to contact the ubuntu server for the time, or while doing some network stuff (i.e. using firefox). I can also avoid the hang by disabling the network card (which seems like pretty conclusive proof to me).

The system also works fine in non SMP mode.

I have done some searches and can't find any mention of this problem, so I was wondering whether anyone can shed any light on it or whether I should be submitting a "proper" bug.

It's a real shame - I can't run SMP on windows due to dodgy CD/DVD Drive drivers, and I can't run under linux because of dodgy network drivers. So I have a useless extra processor...

Joe

Re: Total system hang with k7 SMP and Netgear WG311

After a little work I have managed to fix this so now have my kubuntu system running at full speed (wahey!)

The problem appears to be in the version of the madwifi drivers shipped with kubuntu (if you look in the system log the version number does have (EXPERIMENTAL) after it, so I guess that might have been a bit of a giveaway...)

The fix is moderatly easy if you know a bit about kernel modules etc.

So the thing to do is to go to http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/Distro/Ubuntu and follow the ubuntu breezy instructions (the instructions there aren't 100% complete, but if you can't work out the stuff that is missing then you probably shouldn't be doing this...). Then after you have built and installed the modules you need to replace the .o files in /lib/linux-restricted-modules/<kernelver>-k7-smp/ath_hal with the ones you have just built then reboot and it works.

Note - that final bit about copying object files around is probably due to bug in the make files or something, so I would check if it is necesarry (i.e see if the card works without it) before manually copying files around. If it _is_ required then there will be a load of errors in the system log when you boot and you won't have a working network card!

Well, that sort of covers it I hope if anyone else is having this problem then this is enough to help!

Joe

Comment

Working...
    X