X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System time changes during every boot.

Dear all,

I have a dual boot machine with Kubuntu and Windows XP.

I frequently keep booting between kubuntu and winxp, when I am working.

I noticed that each time I boot into kubuntu, the system time changes. Next time I  boot into winxp, the previously set time is gone and I would have to set the time again.

This I confirmed by setting the correct time on winxp and rebooting or poweroff-poweron into winxp continuously (without going into kubuntu) and the system time is fine.

But once I boot into kubuntu, the time displayed on kubuntu desktop is changed (random time) and when I reboot back into winxp, the time is changed.

I would appreciate if  you could help me on this problem. I also doubt if this problem could be due to NTP related stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: System time changes during every boot.

maybe this is because of the time sync with the ubtuntu time server, don't know how to disable it though.

Comment

It should not a randomn time, is it a fixed numbers of hours from the correct time. My own Kubuntu system is doing a similar in the the clock is set to UTC whereas I am EST, so it writes it back to the hardware clock it is offset. It also depends if am connected to my network when I boot ie if it can contact the Ubuntu time clock. I had found a reference to correcting this but at as yet I have tried the correction.

Comment

If I recall correctly, this is a problem that occurs frequently on dual boot machines. M$ and Linux set the hardware realtime clock differently, one (I can't remeber which) sets it to UT and makes a software conversion to your local time zone, the other sets the realtime clock to your local time. Obviously, the two times are different and the RTC gets changed every time you switch operating systems.
        I know that there's a workaround for this, but I wiped my windoze partition a while ago to make more room for music and photos, so I don't remember what the workaround is.

Comment

I am running Dapper Flight CD 4 and WinXP Home SP2 on dual boot via grub. I am experiencing the same problem. There is a workaround suggested in:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=1456.0

I will try it, see if it works, and then report back.

Comment

Thank you all for all those suggestions.

From what I see, Kubuntu is setting the clock to GMT and then displaying it correctly to my time zone. So when I am booting back into winxp, its showing the GMT time and not GMT+Region Hrs.

Originally posted by tkteo
            I am running Dapper Flight CD 4 and WinXP Home SP2 on dual boot via grub. I am experiencing the same problem. There is a workaround suggested in:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=1456.0

I will try it, see if it works, and then report back.
            From the solution that is suggested in the thread mentioned above, they seem to be suggesting a way of changing the time zone from UTC to the other regional time zone.

But in my case, the clock is already set to my regional time zone (IST: Indian Standard Time) and still I am facing problems.

If I am missing something here.. please let me know.

Comment

I have used

sudo tzconfig

and solved the problem on my system, that was the reference I could not remember.

Comment

when dual booting, the default is for setting to the machine clock......if you edit the file /etc/default/rcS and change UTC=Yes to UTC=No.....it will be able to sync via the internet if you enable it to do so......everytime you change the dual boot time, that changes the clock that kubuntu relies on. So config it to rely on another clock standard, such as syncing with interntet time.

Comment

Working...
                X