This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logon Problem

After I ended the session and starts the new one, I have to log in again...

But when the logon screen appears, tried to type my password (or my username to change)

I can't type any, as if the keyboard isn't working!!

So if I have to change the session, I have to restart my laptop over and over and over...

>_< need help! any workarounds thanx for any help!

Re: Logon Problem

It seems, as you said, a keyboard problem. It could be the "x-server". You can restart it by doing [ctrl][Alt][Backspace]. (just in case, backspace is the key with an arrow pointing left in some keyboards)

Does this help ? It is waaaay faster than reboot

Also: how do you "change sessions", choosing logout from the menu ? If not, try that ...

hth!

Comment

It's more like... end session then begin the new session again.. XD

ctrl+alt+bkspace.. okay!!

Comment

i have the same problem here. didn't try with ctrl+alt+backspace, but this is my usual workaround:

it actually seems an X problem; in fact, if you try to type something and then switch to console mode (using the menu in the dialog, ctrl+alt+F1 or ctrl+alt+F2 won't work either), you will see all the characters you typed; so, i login in console mode, kill kdm and then run "sudo kdm&" again, and everything goes fine.

Comment

Originally posted by disraeli
          i have the same problem here. didn't try with ctrl+alt+backspace, but this is my usual workaround:

it actually seems an X problem; in fact, if you try to type something and then switch to console mode (using the menu in the dialog, ctrl+alt+F1 or ctrl+alt+F2 won't work either), you will see all the characters you typed; so, i login in console mode, kill kdm and then run "sudo kdm&" again, and everything goes fine.
          Do you see the problem in a laptop or a regular PC ? I am thinking that laptops have fairly unusual keyboards, and maybe you guys are hitting a certain key combination that is bound to send the output to the root console (or whatever the name).

If any of you guys can find a way to reproduce this bug consistently, we should report it in Malone ...

Best!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano

Do you see the problem in a laptop or a regular PC ? I am thinking that laptops have fairly unusual keyboards, and maybe you guys are hitting a certain key combination that is bound to send the output to the root console (or whatever the name).

If any of you guys can find a way to reproduce this bug consistently, we should report it in Malone ...

Best!
            I am on an ASUS M6NE laptop; but I dont think it has to do with particular key combinations, since it's not working even if i use only the mouse.

anyway some time ago a friend of mine had a similar problem and maybe he solved it, i'm gonna ask him and report the eventual solution here asap

Comment

Working...
            X