This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better Multiple Desktops

It would be nice for kubuntu (and kde in general) to use better multiple desktops, similar to gnome's. Specifically, an application on desktop 1 wouldn't show up in the tray for desktop 2. i've tried looking around for a plugin to accomplish this, but can't find any. if anyone could point one out to me, i'd appreciate it.

Re: Better Multiple Desktops

Originally posted by austin987
    It would be nice for kubuntu (and kde in general) to  use better multiple desktops, similar to gnome's. Specifically, an application on desktop 1 wouldn't show up in the tray for desktop 2. i've  tried looking around for a plugin to accomplish this, but can't find any. if anyone could point one out to me, i'd appreciate it.
    Hi Austin

Open:

1. System Settings -> Panel

2. Go to the option, System Tray

3. Unselect the option Show windows from all Desktops

That's it

Comment

Ahh, awesome. Just had to look around a bit more...Now if I could find a module for the ITE 8212F raid chipset, or get it compiled, I'd be all set.

Thanks again

Comment

Ahh, awesome. Just had to look around a bit more...Now if I could find a module for the ITE 8212F raid chipset, or get it compiled, I'd be all set.
        Have you tried with the LiveCD ? I found situations where the Live CD detects and configures hardware that doesn't get configured in the regular installation. I filed a bug report for this.

If the LiveCD detects it, then you are 1/2 way there.

Otherwise, you can try a Dapper LiveCD. If it configures it, then you'll have to wait for Dapper

Comment

LiveCD doesn't, in fact no live cd i've used for any distro has...I've seen quite a few people on here with the same chipset, which makes me think there may be a compiled one somewhere...

Comment

LiveCD doesn't, in fact no live cd i've used for any distro has...I've seen quite a few people on here with the same chipset, which makes me think there may be a compiled one somewhere...
            Dapper seems to have it!

Code:
            localhost: ~> find /lib/modules/2.6.15-13-k7/ -iname "*IT821*"
            /lib/modules/2.6.15-13-k7/kernel/drivers/ide/pci/it821x.ko
            See this post:
            http://kerneltrap.org/node/4543

Try this:

Code:
             sudo modprobe it821x
            It might be your day ! It works for me, at least it loads.  But I am running dapper.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
              It would be nice for kubuntu (and kde in general) to use better multiple desktops, similar to gnome's. Specifically, an application on desktop 1 wouldn't show up in the tray for desktop 2. i've tried looking around for a plugin to accomplish this, but can't find any. if anyone could point one out to me, i'd appreciate it.
              Hi Austin

Open:

1. System Settings -> Panel

2. Go to the option, System Tray

3. Unselect the option Show windows from all Desktops

That's it

That should be activated by default. The gnome pager is a real pager.

Comment

Working...
              X