This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Kubuntu "Dapper Drake Flight 2"

Hi all, I am a new user of Kubuntu. I think this is a great distribution!
    I have downloaded the Flight 2 Cd of Dapper Drake release: I have installed it in my language (italian, there isn't the full support but no problem for me!).
    I have found two strange behavoir: first kde don't allow me the access with superuser with it's box (example when I modify something in control center etc.) and second after two boot grub fails to load and I can't access to the Kubuntu partition (I can access only with rescue cd) (i have a multi boot with windows xp)

Re: Problem with Kubuntu &quotapper Drake Flight 2"

If you're a new user, I'd recommend using the stable breezy release, Flight 2 is for testing only (which can be fun too, I know), but you're bound to run into more than a few problems, in which case it helps if you already know your way around kubuntu.

Comment

Hi, I'm a novice in Kubuntu and in Ubuntu family but I'm not a new Linux User!
      I like to try new version of the distributions like that.
      My problem is the same of other users around the world! In my post in Kde forum (http://www.kde-forum.org/thread.php?...07a25e9507df13)
      other user told me about the same problem with Kubuntu (and the version 5.10 not the last!)

I think there is an incopatibility with kubuntu and kde 3.5 but I don't know why because all the other programs work correctly!

Comment

Originally posted by drm2005
        Hi, I'm a novice in Kubuntu and in Ubuntu family but I'm not a new Linux User!
        I'd still recommend finding out the peculiarities of a new distro with a stable version first, even if briefly, then it would be easier to distinguish bugs from distro-specific features

After checking your post, I'd say you did an 'expert' installation, which sets up a root account with it's own password. However kubuntu by default uses 'sudo' and 'kdesu' for administrative tasks, and they require the user's password (not the root password). To make it even more confusing, at standard installation kubuntu adds the created user to the 'sudoers' file (which enables that user to perform those administrative tasks)...I don't know how it's handled in the expert installation if you set up a normal 'root' account (that is, will the 1st user be given sudo rights).

And a problem with similar symptoms (can't access admin mode in systemsettings), but with a different cause is also present in a fresh installation of breezy 5.10 (which is why you'd easily think that your problem is very common, and possibly an incompatibility issue between kubuntu and kde)...this problem can however be corrected by upgrading the kubuntu system (to kde 3.5).

Your grub boot issue is a different story though, and it might be an issue with dapper (or not).

Comment

I don't really understand your problem, I'm using dapper and su, sudo and kdesu are working great...
          Also no troubles with grub (for now )

Comment

In effect I do an installation with expert mode...
            When the password not function I try to insert MY OWN password too but the this have the same result. Yesterday I have tried to install version 5.10 and all function correctly also the su access etc.
            I haven't also problem with Grub.

I think I have downloaded a snapshot with same problem for Dapper that caused all my problems or I can do some mistakes....

Thank'you for your help
            Regards

Michele Da Rold

Kubuntu 5.10 on Dell Latitude D800
            KDE 3.5 Openoffice 2.0.1 Kernel 2.6.12.10

Comment

drm's problem is well-known when you install in expert mode. I had the same issues with both breezy and dapper on two different machines.

If you install in expert mode, your user account name (the one you create during setup) is likely not added to the sudoers file. However, your name should have been added to the "adm" group during install. In order to make kdesu and sudo work, do this:

1. Open a terminal session
              2. make yourself root ("su", followed by the root password)
              3. "cd /etc"
              4. "visudo sudoers"
              5. At the bottom of the sudoers file add this: "%adm ALL=(ALL) ALL
              6: Save the file and exit.

You should now be able to use sudo-enabled apps from the desktop and terminal sessions.

As far as the not booting issue, I had an issue with Kubuntu and my system at work.

That machine has two IDE drives on the main IDE channels and an SATA drive on the SATA controller on the main board. I use the SATA drive as the boot drive. If you do this with IDE drives installed, Kubuntu may get confused when it installs or updates grub.

In the /boot/grub directory, open menu.lst as root for editing. Note at the bottom of the file where the partitions for your operating systems are located. The partitions are indicated in each section as "hd(0,0)" or similar. This means the system partition is located on the first hard disk (indicated by the 0) and on the first partition (the second zero). All drives and partitions are numbered beginning with zero. For example, here's the entry from my grub menu.lst file for a kernel images on this system:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-10-386
              root (hd0,0)
              kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
              initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-10-386
              savedefault
              boot

This system will boot from the first drive and the first partition.

Here is the problem I've seen. In that system with the SATA drive, the grub file shows it something like this:

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-10-386
              root hd(2,0)
              kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
              initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-10-386
              savedefault
              boot

However, the system's BIOS sees the SATA drive as the first (boot) drive, because that's how I configured it. When the system starts, the BIOS tells the system that the SATA is drive one (0 to grub), but grub thinks the boot partition is on drive 2, because that's what grub detected during the install/update. The only way I've been able to fix this is to edit the menu.lst file manually.

In fact, when I do an update to the system and a new kernel image is installed, the grub files are all updated, and the same error is written back to the file. This has forced me to keep a copy of the menu.lst file with the correct settings, which I manually adjust after a system upgrade. I'm pretty sure there's some way to tell grub which drive it which, but I haven't had the time to look at it yet.

Take a look at those two things...they may help with your problems.
              Joe<br />in Florida

Comment

Working...
              X