This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dapper / Flight 2 installation fails

I'm trying to install version 6.04 from a dvd, and the installation dies after loading the kernel with a message "couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.15-9-386..."

There is a directory lib/modules/2.6.15-8-386 (notice numbers 9<->8)

Any ideas what's happening?

Re: Dapper / Flight 2 installation fails

I have the same problem with the amd64 bit version ot dapper flight-2 dvd - md5sumcheck was ok, when I try to install on hard disk I get:
    http://www.starrydreams.com/kubuntu/kubuntu1.jpg
    the live version also doesn't work. I also tried to reburn the dvd with the lowest speed and so on. The same. Terrible end of a few hours download, not to mention that I am limited with 15Gb monthly traffic, so couldn't download just for the experiment!
    Help! The system on which I want to install it is laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A 1650.

Comment

Hi all,

I've run dapper from the live cd on a X2-64 and it was working fine, which live did you try ? A cd or dvd ?

NB : remember that dapper is an alpha version and it's not said to be stable...

Comment

live version from the same dvd ...
        Btw the live version complains of cdrom not found. I have the feeling that all this is issue with the cd/dvdrom ... unfortunatly I don't know with what options to overcome it.

Comment

What do you mean by cd/dvd issue ? reader or media ?
          For me, it should be trouble of install (or way it's running in live) because it's looking for a lib version different of the kernel...
          Can't you try with a dapper live cd to see if you get the same trouble ?

Comment

Originally posted by sky
            What do you mean by cd/dvd issue ? reader or media ?
            For me, it should be trouble of install (or way it's running in live) because it's looking for a lib version different of the kernel...
            Can't you try with a dapper live cd to see if you get the same trouble ?
            The reader. Probably I won't download the live cd, because I have a monthly limit of the traffic and don't want to use it for experiments. It seems Kubuntu is not ready for that laptop yet. For now I use suse 10 64 bit, but I am not satisfied. Mandriva 2006 was total disaster on the same machine. SUSE is almost stable with some acpi problems and very long boot process - 1 min. and 10 sec to the login sreen on 1.8 GHz Turion 64 CPU and 512Mb RAM .... which led me to seek another distribution.

Comment

I understand that you can't try then, but why you didn't installed breezy badger versions ? It's stable and really nice to use. For now there's almost no visible improvement between breezy and dapper. Dapper is using kernel 2.6.15 and breezy 2.6.12 so boot process is different. But this version is still very unstable
              I've installed kubuntu breezy 64bits smp on a X2 4200 and boot process is less than 30 sec (didn't counted really but it's something like...) really nice to use...

Comment

I am using 2.6.13 kernel and still not happy. I can not suspend2hard and suspend2ram, and that's why I want the newest possible kernel with the hope that some day these features (very useful on a laptop!) will work. Maybe my biggest mistake was taking buying bleeding-edge technology without checking if linux would work on it. I still have not working hardware like the Texas Instruments card reader (a driver is being developed right now but is in very pre-alpha phase, and it will want 2.6.14 at least ....) Making the wireless working took me a month. And of course the problem with the long boot .... I thought Kubuntu with the newest kernel and software would be the answer however ....

Comment

Ok, I see what you mean, I had the same trouble with hoary and a laptop which was the newest... I was then using breezy in very unstable state (like dapper now).
                  I hope your troubles will be solved, I guess yes...

Comment

Working...
                  X