X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Screen-Resolution and Lettersize and some Admintools

Hello,
    i'm using Kubuntu (now with KDE3.5) with a resolution of 1024x764 on my notebook - because I have very bad eyes.
    There arises 2 Problems (unfortunately 3.5 doesn't resolv my problems):

1.) Some lettersizes don't scale

In Adept e.g. the package-names and descriptions are written with lettersizes for the native computerscreenresolution (1400x1200 on my Notebook). There's no effect when I change the fontsize in KDE. I nearly can't read them.

2.) Some admintools are written for higher screenresolution

Networkconfiguration-Tool can't be used at 1024x764 because the admin-button at the buttom isn't reachable. There's no possibility to reduce the windowsize (or i haven't found one yet).

These two bugs make life hard for me on my notebook.
    Nevetheless I LOVE Kubuntu!

Re: Problems with Screen-Resolution and Lettersize and some Admintools

If a window is too big to fit on the screen you can always move it in KDE by holding ALT and left dragging anywhere in the window (KDE traps mouse presses with the ALT key down). At least this is the default behavior.

Not sure about the font size issue, have you changed all of the font sizes available, just to be sure you got the right one?

Comment

Probably the single most effective change for consistent font rendering is to append a -dpi value in the kdm rc file (as shown here):
      Code:
      skoal@morpheus:///etc/kde3/kdm $ cat kdmrc |grep dpi
      ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp -dpi 96
      ...and you'll notice I use 96dpi, but you can use 100 or 72.  I wouldn't suggest any other values than those.  Which works best varies by your actual viewable screen dimension (15", 17", et cetera) and resolution (1024, 1280, et cetera)...

Comment

Dear Skoal,

thank you very much for your help with the hint of dpi-configuration! That was it!
        Now I have all letters big enough and well readable!

The problem with the admin-button at bottom of network-administration-tool still remains. But I helped me now with resolution 1152x864. With the dpi configuration letters are big enough overall and the admin-button is reachable.

and Arkaein, your ideas I had tested all, before I opened this topic. Thank you for your answer to my question/problem!

Thanks for help!

Comment

I have the same probulm. I cant get access to any of the admin tools in networking.

I tried adding skoal's code to my "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" file, but I couldent save it.

Comment

Originally posted by tophat2445
            I have the same probulm. I cant get access to any of the admin tools in networking.

I tried adding skoal's code to my "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc" file, but I couldent save it.
            oops.  Sorry about my prior post there tophat.  I only threw out the actual changes with a 'cat' command for illustration purposes.

Fire off a konqueror window and browse to /etc/kde3/kdm.  Then, right click over the 'kdmrc' file and select 'actions > edit as root'.  That should open up the kate editor (I think).  Just scroll down to that section and add the 'dpi' switch there.  Then, file > save, close out all windows, log out, and hit ctrl-alt-backspace to reinit your X session.  I guarantee you'll see those changes or I'll refund your money in 3-4 working business days...

Comment

Working...
            X