This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug- KDE 3.5 removable usb media not opening right

Im using kubuntu 5.10, with kde 3.5 installed from http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde35/

When I plug in a usb flash drive, a notification window pops up asking to either "open in new window" or "do nothing". Clicking on "open in new window" opens konqueror in "system:/media" with an icon for the usb drive. Clicking on that icon trys to mount it, but then says:
    "
    Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /media/sda1
    mount failed
    "
    so then I must manually brouse to /media/sda1 to access my files...

Any way to fix this so that clicking on that icon will open /media/sda1?

Other issue: usb drive and cdrom do not show as mounted icon on the desktop, even though this option is enabled. How to fix?

Knowerrors

Re: Bug- KDE 3.5 removable usb media not opening right

try uninstalling the program "ivman", which is a
    daemon to auto-mount and manage media devices
    ivman is a daemon that acts as a policy agent on top of HAL. It
    listens to HAL events and reacts with user-configurable
    actions. Currently it supports automount of new media and hot-plugged
    devices, autorun, autoplay for CDs and DVDs, and automatic camera
    management.
    As kde 3.5 has its own similar automount feature I do believe this will fix that issue for you.

Comment

I should have mentioned, I already uninstalled ivman... still have the same problem. Any other ideas? Hopefully I can fix this without waiting for 3.5.1 :P

Comment

Sorry, it did work for me, but maybe it was something else that it could be

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          try uninstalling the program "ivman"...
          dizaaaam! Thanks for the tip claydoh.  I removed 'ivman' and now my USB stick works like it should.  That was one reeeeeal big irritation with me when konqueror would fire off 3 or more mounts of the same /media/sdb1 device.

much obliged.

knowerrors, I believe your problem stems from teh fact you have a USB drive already mounted (as /dev/sda1) and when you insert the USB stick, hotplugging wants to mount it there also (as /dev/sda1).  Thus, the error...

In contrast, I have a SCSI drive already mounted as /dev/sda[1-9] but my USB sticks mount properly as /dev/sdb1, et cetera.

conclusions?

apparently, something is amiss with the hotplugging scripts which do not allow more than one USB drive to be mounted at the same time.

sol'n?

dunno at the moment.  I'll try and google around for some insight...

Comment

oops.  Please ignore the bottom half of my prior post, knowerrors.  After rereading your first post,  I reaaaaly don't have a clue where I got that you were plugging in a USB stick with an already mounted USB drive.  My bad.

...I should really heed those FDA warnings about dementia while slamming my Lipitor with a half of JD...

You could fire up a terminal and type 'tail -f /var/log/messages', plug in (mount) your USB drive, watch the output scroll, and dig for insight there.

Comment

tail -f /var/log/messages

pluged in flash card into usb printer slot

Dec 7 19:21:56 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 13
              Dec 7 19:21:56 localhost kernel: hub 1-2:1.0: USB hub found
              Dec 7 19:21:56 localhost kernel: hub 1-2:1.0: 2 ports detected
              Dec 7 19:21:56 localhost kernel: usb 1-2.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 14
              Dec 7 19:21:56 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 14 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0005
              Dec 7 19:21:56 localhost kernel: usb 1-2.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 15
              Dec 7 19:21:56 localhost kernel: scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
              Dec 7 19:21:57 localhost usb.agent[2307]: usblp: already loaded
              Dec 7 19:21:57 localhost usb.agent[2289]: usbcore: already loaded
              Dec 7 19:21:57 localhost usb.agent[2343]: usb-storage: already loaded
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: Vendor: EPSON Model: SP 785EPX Storag Rev: 1.10
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: 32000 512-byte hdwr sectors (16 MB)
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: SCSI device sda: 32000 512-byte hdwr sectors (16 MB)
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: sda: sda1
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
              Dec 7 19:22:01 localhost scsi.agent[2478]: sd_mod: loaded sucessfully (for disk)
              Dec 7 19:22:36 localhost kernel: UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
              Dec 7 19:22:36 localhost kernel: UDF-fs: No partition found (1)
              Dec 7 19:23:06 localhost kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 15
              Dec 7 19:23:07 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
              Dec 7 19:23:07 localhost kernel: Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

drive icon appears in system:/media , clicking on it simply gives the-
              Could not mount device.
              The reported error was:
              mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /media/sda1
              mount failed
              Thanks for helping so far
              Any other ideas skoal?

Comment

hmm, well it appears you have a USB printer attached and it has 2 USB slots on it, right? And you are plugging in a 16MB USB memory stick into one of those printer slots?  Is that right?  Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I tried to piece together from dmesg above...

It would appear this line:
                Code:
                Dec  7 19:23:06 localhost kernel: usb 1-2.2: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 15
                ...is the boogeyman clawing at you under your bed.

For some reason that USB stick gets reset after a short amount of time (a full 30 seconds it seems).  I don't think it's supposed to do that. Do you have the same problems if you plug it in the other USB slot (on the printer, if there is one)?

Well, here's two things you can look at (from a [k]terminal):

1. see if /dev/sda1 is mounted before you put the USB stick in there.  Just 'ls /media' and see if even sda1 exists.  If possible, 'ls /media/sda1' and see what's mounted there before you stick it in.

2. If /media/sda1 doesn't exist there before you stick it in, stick it in, and what happens if you 'ls' there again? Does sda1 get created there as it should?

Comment

without the printer turned on:
                  ls /media
                  cdrom cdrom0 floppy floppy0 hda1 hda2
                  ls /media/sda1
                  ls: /media/sda1: No such file or directory

no change after on, no change after I plug in the card... btw its not a usb stick, its a flash memory card from a camera that Im stickin in the slot on the printer. I also tried pluggin in my camera with the card in it, via a usb cable, and turning it on, I get the same messages when I do ls /media or ls /media/sda1.
                  If I browse to system:/media , I see a 16M Removable Media/ Unmounted Removeable Media icon. If I click on it, it mounts it, and ls /media/sda1 shows the folder on the camera card. Yet konqueror won't show the contents of the card unless I manually browse to /media/sda1, clicking on the 16M icon in system:/media just tries to mount it again. Anything else I should try?

Wish I had never upgraded to 3.5, 3.4.3 was fine. Maybe I should just bust out my kubuntu install cd and downgrade til 3.5 becomes more stable.

Comment

well, sir, I'm at a loss...

At least you're able to still browse to the flash stick, right? If it only started occurring after the 3.5 upgrade, I would file a bug report and I bet some devs will jump all over it like a fly on stink.

If I can think of something in the meantime I'll haller back at ya.

Comment

I added to fstab

/dev/sdb1 /media/usbdisk auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

and it worked

Comment

Try removing ivman

Comment

robbedoes52: tried that, didn't help

jriddel: already removed ivman before I installed kde 3.5, just submitted bug report

Hope to fix this, sucks that I seem to be the only one that still has this problem.

Comment

I've remove ivman. that conflicts with kde 3.5's automounting. my only problem is it refuses to autoplay dvds and video cd's i have it setup to auto play these with kaffeine in the control panel. i don't have any usb storage devices but data cd's dvd's mount fine.

Comment

Hello there. I am using Suse 10.0, and just last night I upgraded to KDE 3.5 and I had this same problem. This post is the ONLY thing I have found online for this issue. I just thought I would let you know that I found a workaround for this, and there is no system hacking involved. Basically, the automatic mounting in KDE IS the culprit. I didn't have ivman installed on my system, so I couldn't even try that option. Anyways, here is what you need to do:

1. Unplug your USB drive
                              2. Go to the KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Storage Media
                              3. Click the button to revert to the 'Defaults' to erase the settings that you initially had set up for hotplugging.
                              4. Click 'Apply'.
                              5. Now, insert your USB drive.

You should be prompted for what you what to do. All you need to do is select 'Do Nothing' and check the box not to ask you again for this kind of media. Problem solved.

This issue was driving me nuts, as Konqueror kept opening two tabs when I inserted my thumbdrive, one that was fine, but the second would fail with the crazy mount error.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X