This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is amaroK a SPYWARE?

Recently I accidentaly discovered that amaroK is stealing 1-2kbps of my modem internet connection. I like to monitor the speed of transfering something and yesterday when downloads of some files are finished I notice that on the graph still are some transfer going wich are cleverly disguised because transfer never goes over 2kbps. I'm sure it's amaroK cause when I quit amarok transfer stops.

Re: Is amaroK a SPYWARE?

amaroK downloads information from (among other places) WikiPedia and possibly last.fm - this is deliberate, and is used to fill some of the tabs in the "Context" browser.

I wouldn't say it's "cleverly disguised" - more that it just doesn't need any more bandwidth than that!

Comment

yes, sir. It's last.fm chewing on your RJ45 copper. Try this one on for size:

settings > configure amarok > last.fm > uncheck everything.

...and those network lites will finally shut up. I really don't know what all that feature is doing either. I mean, comeon, I sat there one time admiring those flickering lights for at least 10 minutes straight, got tired, and finally unplugged the cable. Hell, I only have 40 songs of Polka music and it can't take that long to send that little of information. Personally, I think last.fm is just another SETI@HOME node with a clever CSS skin and a URL redirect. I for one refuse to help to discover intelligent life elsewhere. I have enough problems with those here...

Comment

lol, my cousin his helping SETI@HOME, I thinks its very noble of him. Sadly, nothing coming in yet though...
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
          Sadly, nothing coming in yet though...
          ...and what makes you think our Kurelian fleet hovering near the Kuiper Belt warp point wants you carbon based slugs to discover our plaaa  8()0.ll####^
          #$ vv nb
          4...ns to harvest your flesh likee %%^
          @@45
          @
          gghh56ee  ggggggalactic soy burgerssss sss s
          566%^%^
          (*
          &&2&$

^2

/

NO CARRIER.

Comment

Yep...
            it's last.fm option
            Fetch similar artist
            wich is enabled by default and can be used even if you're not registered.

Sorry for the false alarm. :P

Comment

false alarm? I'm fairly sure nobody was alarmed in the least

edit: oops. sorry for bumping this. I was thinking I was in current posts section.

Comment

Working...
              X