This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdm gone

Three days ago, upgraded like 40 something packages. One of them was kdm related. I was prompted on Adept Yes/No (ncurses interface) something about kdm.  I think I clicked on Yes. Unfortunately I was on the phone and misread the thing. Anyway, now kdm is gone.

I thought it was something about the init level (which I haven't changed since the very first day) but it's not. Init level is 2 and I got S21kdm in rc2.d so I guess it's ok here.

I tried both :

Code:
    su root
    /etc/init.d/kdm start

and

sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    and it doesn't seem to start (no error message).

Examining services through system settings on kde, I see kdm 'start at boot : yes, status : not running' which is weird since it does not run at boot.
    Still through system settings, I tried to restart and start kdm : doesn't start at all, no error message.

Suggestions welcome ;-)

Re: kdm gone

The problem is getting worse...

When I first ran Adept and saw 41 packages upgradable, I thought they had been upgraded.

Today I ran Adept updater and I saw the same 41 packages so I guess something went wrong. I committed the changes but got an error message saying something was wrong.

Reran Adept updater, saw this time 5 packages upgradable (so I guess some packages were updated).
    Retried to commit changes. Error about servers.
    Restarted the system to see if the new packages fixed my kdm problem : kdm doesn't start, I try startx, X error : could not open default font 'fixed'; the X server's font paths might be misconfigured, remote font server(s) may be unreachable, and/or local fonts may not be installed or not configured correctly.

Suggestions welcome to fix that mess.

Comment

Working...
    X