This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power management on 5.10

I run kubuntu 5.10 on a desktop computer and on kde or a console, after some time of inactivity, the screens goes blank. I haven't modified no options about power saving or anything.

Desktop properties :
    Screen Saver/Make aware of power management [unchecked]
    Display/Enable Power Management [unchecked]

I remember I had that problem on other distros but can't remember what program is doing that.

Anyway I find that quite weird since before specifying anything about power on kde (and everything is off), I got something hidden forcing my screen to go blank.

So any help welcome ;-)

Re: Power management on 5.10

I have noticed this as well. No matter what your settings are configured to it will autoblank the screen. It drives me crazy when I am playing my guitar and using my laptop for lyrics and the screen will blank.

I am thinking that this is a kernel-side ACPI setting that is causing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by paralis
      I run kubuntu 5.10 on a desktop computer and on kde or a console, after some time of inactivity, the screens goes blank. I haven't modified no options about power saving or anything.

Desktop properties :
      Screen Saver/Make aware of power management [unchecked]
      Display/Enable Power Management [unchecked]

I remember I had that problem on other distros but can't remember what program is doing that.

Anyway I find that quite weird since before specifying anything about power on kde (and everything is off), I got something hidden forcing my screen to go blank.

So any help welcome ;-)
      You might want to check your CMOS setup program (from the BIOS) and look to be sure that you have all power saver features turned off. Those settings from CMOS will override the power settings in Kubuntu. That may not be the problem but it's easy enough to verify. Regards.

Comment

I sort of like the 'auto' screen blanking feature. The power management (or whatever) kicks in without ever being set ... But lately, I've had the opposite problem: It quit working! Now the screeen stays lit all the time? I tried checking the box for making it aware of power management but that still didn't help.

What gives? I didn't do anything to my Kubuntu box that would have triggered a change ... at least not that I know of!

Thanks!

Comment

By logging out and back in (no reboot!), the screen blanking 'feature' returned. I even unchecked the 'make aware of power management' and it still worked. Yeah! There must be a bug somewhere but if a simple log off/on fixes it, I'm a happy camper!

Comment

Turned off all power stuff in bios : didn't change nothing. So not CMOS related.

Comment

Working...
            X