X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

losing localhost apache access....

This is really wierd.

I have a broadcom wireless chipset on my laptop that I am configuring and using with Ndiswrapper. I also have a standard RTL8139 ethernet card.

I have noticed that whenever I connect to the internet from the ethernet port I can access my localhost (running on the same laptop )apache webserver but for some reason when I use the broadcom wireless to connect to the internet I can't get localhost to bring up my apache servered pages when I type 'localhost' into the browser.

My /etc/hosts file contains

127.0.0.1 localhost mycomputername

This should mean that typing 127.0.0.1, or localhost, or mycomputername should give me access to my apache webserver.

Does anyone know what could be preventing me from accessing apache when I connect through wireless.

Re: losing localhost apache access....

Hi,

I don't really know what it can be. But to help for solving, you can check error log of apache. Are you launching apache and then configuring your access to wire to get it work ? If yes, can you switch on your access by wireless and see ?
    What the error displayed in your browser ?
    If you're typing during wireless access :
    ping localhost
    Is it answering well ?

Comment

Here is the exact order of execution.

I start up my laptop which automatically starts mysql and apache2
      I log into my desktop and if I am at home I execute a script that does the following:

modprobe ndiswrapper (activates the wireless chipset)
      iwconfig wlan0 essid any (configures my wireless to connect to anything that is open)
      dhclient wlan0 (gets an ip address from the router)

At this point browsing works fine but if I type localhost into the URL bar it tries to bring up the localhost apache2 served pages but just searches till it gives up.

I have tried stopping and starting /etc/init.d/apache2 but that doesn't fix it either.

on the other hand, when I go to work I plug into eth0 so instead of running the wireless script I just sudo dhclient eth0. Everything works, including my localhost apache2 server.

I have looked in my apache logs but there are no errors reported there. Is there something in the host file that is screwing it up.
      --------------/etc/hosts----------------------------------------
      127.0.0.1 localhost.localhost mycomputername

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
      fe00::0 ip6-localnet ip6-localnet
      ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix ip6-mcastprefix
      ff02::1 ip6-allnodes ip6-allnodes
      ff02::2 ip6-allrouters ip6-allrouters
      ff02::3 ip6-allhosts ip6-allhosts

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
      # (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
      ------------------------------------------------------------

Note I am using a custom built kernel 2.6.14.1ck4(con kolivas desktop peformance patch)
      and I am using ndiswrapper 1.5 (which is the latest available.)

Everying on my system is running amazingly well except for this one glitch. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

well I think the problem fixed itself.
        It appears that the problem disappeared as soon as I update to linux kernel 2.6.14.2

The problem only seemed to be happening on kernel 2.6.14 and 2.16.14.1

thanks for your help anyway....

Comment

Working...
        X