This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widget/applet/indicator for mounted devices

So, on Unity 7, when a USB stick or hard drive was attached, it would pop up on the launcher, until it would be unmounted. I quite liked that behaviour. Can it be done with KDE? I found Disk & Devices applet but it is not dynamic and I cannot tell how many devices I have got attached. Googling have not given me much either but I am new to KDE terminology and I am still not sure what things are called (things that go on a panel are widgets, indicators are basically app launchers and applets are another name for widgets - Latte which I started to use might be confusing me here:-)). Is there anything like what I described available?

I don't believe there is such a Plasma widget in Plasma 5 There may have been something in KDE 4 years and years ago, but it probably was a popup applet.
    I imagine it would not be hard for a coder to modify the stock disk & devices widget to make one that sits in the panel, and shows all devices, but there does not seem to be a demand for one.

Comment

Well, there is actually, at least on my 22.04. Right-click on the Desktop and click on Add Widgets... and search for Disks and Devices.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Well, there is actually, at least on my 22.04. Right-click on the Desktop and click on Add Widgets... and search for Disks and Devices.
        I do not understand. Has it changed from 21.10? I specifically mention it in my post saying that is not what I am looking for - I would lke to have one icon/indicator per device that would appear dynamically only whena device is attached. Is that the behaviour in 22.04?

Comment

Sorry. I misunderstood what you were wanting.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think what you are looking for was not 100% clear, plus the overall lack of experience with Unity. I got it, as when I did use that desktop on a test machine back in the day, this feature was one of the first things I got rid of

And no, this won't be something part of Plasma itself,even in future versions, though someone out there could create on on their own if they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by supsup View Post
              ... a USB stick or hard drive was attached, it would pop up on the launcher
              If I understand your "wish"*, the dolphin "Places" panel has a "Devices" section that gives that info. (You may have to show the panel and "unhide" the section.) I often check that to see what's going on, it would be cool to have a widget with that info, especially as it shows the mount status.

*That's what such requests for features are called; the word can have a vaguely childish nuance that I don't mean at all.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Regarding the device section in Dolphin, I know about that and that is what I now use, but I tend to use my desktop as the primary means for dealing with files that come and go a lot (file managers are for long term storage in my mind), so I liked to take care of removable devices from there.
                Originally posted by jlittle View Post

*That's what such requests for features are called; the word can have a vaguely childish nuance that I don't mean at all.
                Indeed a wish is much better word. In free software world, one really politely asks and wishes (unless one does the job herself or himself), not really requests. Requests implies a right to be fullfiled in my mind, which is not the case in free software.

Comment

Curious why "Disks and Devices" in the systray isn't working for you. I can easily tell what's attached and what mounted or not. You can even Pin it so it stays open.

In the end it's probably just a functioning difference between the different DEs.
                  Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Aha, I can put it directly on the desktop! Never thought of that. That was not possible in Unity, so it never occured to me. I will try that.

Comment

This is the widget Snowhog was talking about:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211229_151132.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	659244

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by supsup View Post
                        Aha, I can put it directly on the desktop! Never thought of that. That was not possible in Unity, so it never occured to me. I will try that.
                        Almost everything in Plasma is possible. You have a LOT more control than with Gnome or Unity or even Cinnamon. Sometimes it's overwhelming for someone coming to Plasma (KDE) for the first time.

Feel free to ask your questions, that's why his forum exists.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X