X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a Second Graphics Adapter

Hello,

I have two graphics adapters; an nVidia adapter and an ATI adapter. When I fire up Kubuntu, my nVidia adapter works fine; on my ATI adapter, I see an underscore in the top left corner. ASCII screenshot:

Code:
    _
    When I hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or 2, or 3...), my X desktop stays on the nVidia-attached display; however, the appropriate TTY comes up on the ATI display. Ctrl+Alt+F8 brings the keyboard and mouse back to X.

How do I make it so that X is on all of my display adapters and Ctrl+Alt+F(x) goes to the TTY of my choice, just like back in the day before I had this second adapter?

Thanks!

Re: Adding a Second Graphics Adapter

Do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

Do some web searching on how to set up dual monitors with dual video cards.

Please Read Me

Comment

here
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Ah, hahah, very funny. Google- good idea. I'll have to remember the URL for that site so I can mock others' problem solving abilities in the future.

1) I don't have a xorg.conf file as x.org now uses xrandr to autoconfig as much as it can. In my case, it configures one display adapter and, of course, gives me no xorg.conf to modify.

2) I did google this :-) After 20 minutes of perusing articles that wonderfully explain how to configure a second monitor on identical graphics cards, I decided that information on configuring "many" displays with more than one type of device is information that is not immediately available.

3) rfakhrai- did you google this?

Another thing I haven't found for recent versions of *buntu: Is there a command that tells you what display driver X is using? I can't install the mesa tools, which is what was suggested for older versions of *buntu. The package is no longer available.

Comment

Originally posted by nko321
          Another thing I haven't found for recent versions of *buntu: Is there a command that tells you what display driver X is using? I can't install the mesa tools, which is what was suggested for older versions of *buntu. The package is no longer available.
          Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Search for "X.Org Video Driver"

Comment

Sweet! That did tell me which driver is loaded!

Comment

I'm sorry but that is the extent of my ability to help

I will, however, bump this for you.
              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
              X