This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's update breaks Dolphin

FYI: Just did the 20.04 (Focal) update (7:50PM 1/12/2020) and this is what happened:
    Unable to create io-slave. klauncher said: Error loading '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so'.
    The file is present, owned by root and marked readable by the world:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127504 Jan 11 07:19 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/kio/file.so
    [/COLOR][/FONT]

Reinstalling kio did not help.

EDIT: This is a rare case where just rebooting fixed the error. Usually, the only time one needs to reboot Linux is when the kernel changes. (I could have just tried logging out. That probably would have fixed the problem as well.) And, usually, when one has to reboot after an update there is a notice in the system tray telling the user to do that. This time there was not.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 12, 2020, 08:17 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

With a big library update, sometimes old libs are still loaded in ram, but complain/crap out when the old stuff it needs is gone. Usually a logout will fix it, not a reboot. Or (iirc) in this case reloading dbus and launching dolphin manually: dbus-launch dolphin

I think some one from each and every distro that has added the latest plasma or frameworks in the last week or so has seen this error.

Comment

Yeah, I had the same experience. Reboot seems to have fixed it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I rebooted and that solved the problem. Thank you.

Mick
        "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ha. I had the same error and was going off my head trying to figure out what I did wrong. After reboot went away by itself though.

Comment

Working...
          X